Deadline May 15, 2011
The objective of the HSHER - Studentship Program is to provide undergraduate and graduate students who have an interest in addictions and mental health services research an opportunity to gain research experience and skills in an inter-disciplinary environment, by working on projects in collaboration with Research Scientists and a Knowledge Exchange Manager in the Research group. HSHER has a strong focus on diversity and health equity research
Our studentship program provides a three-pronged approach to training. First, there is an emphasis on hands-on learning and practical application of skills. Each trainee will work with their mentor on ongoing projects. Trainee educational objectives are jointly determined by the supervising faculty member and the trainee. As a result, the summer experience is tailored to each student-supervisor team. Second, for more structured learning, trainees participate in seminars with Unit faculty and staff to discuss issues that are often encountered in research. Past series topics have included research ethics, healthcare reform and cultural representations of mental health and addictions.
Some of the scientists in the HSHER Group include:
- Dr. Brian Rush: http://www.camh.net/Research/Areas_of_research/Social_Prevention_Health_...
- Dr. Lori Ross: http://www.camh.net/research/scientific_Staff_profiles/bio_detail.php?cu...
- Dr. Kwame McKenzie: http://www.camh.net/research/scientific_Staff_profiles/bio_detail.php?cu... and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtHOwfLGtg8
- Dr. Violet Kaspar: http://www.camh.net/research/scientific_Staff_profiles/bio_detail.php?cu...
To apply, a candidate must complete:
- A 2-page letter of intent explaining his/her interest in addiction and mental health services research/policy, potential objectives for participating in the program and what the candidate can contribute to the program;
- A C.V. or resume;
- A list of 3 references who are familiar with the student’s work;
- An interview by relevant faculty
Application deadline is May 15th, 2011 and awards will be announced by May 25th, 2011. The studentship will be from June 1st, 2011 to August 31st, 2011.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to Geetha Manohar: email@example.com.