Deadline July 10, 2011
Reports to: Manager, Diversity Mission Team
Department: Research Advocacy and Health Promotion
Status: Full Time
Location: Peel (Brampton as base)
The Heart and Stroke Foundation is a volunteer-based health charity organization. Its mission is to lead in eliminating heart disease and stroke and reducing their impact through the advancement of research and its application, the promotion of healthy living, and advocacy. The Heart and Stroke Foundation’s diversity mission team is dedicated to delivering programs and engaging with diverse communities by building partnerships and reaching out to key decision makers. As South Asians have a three to five times greater risk of dying from heart disease or stroke than other population the incumbent play an integral role in helping South Asian families and families in Peel region as whole reduce their risk and live longer, healthier lives.
As part of the Diversity Mission Team, the incumbent will be assigned to the Peel region, supported by leadership volunteers, to deliver and support activities to engage communities for community impact on the Foundation’s mission. The incumbent will develop and implement an annual regional plan that reflects a province wide mission plan and responds to regional and local needs and priorities. In addition, the specialist will engage with the South Asian Community and serve as resource to the Community and Diversity Mission Team.
Travel within the GTA is required and access to a vehicle is necessary.
Monitor Peel Region needs and execute the regional plan with a focus on initiatives like:
- Spark Together for Healthy Kids
- Complete an annual evaluation of the progress made against the plan.
- Provide input on the development of a community based strategy to inform regional and provincial goals and plans.
- With respect to South Asian communities provide specialized expertise to Community and Diversity Mission Teams to assist in the development of a plan to engage these communities.
- Manage regional and local delivery of initiatives related to health promotion and advocacy.
- Provide leadership and influence health partners and volunteers concerning local advocacy efforts.
- Recruit and guide community leadership volunteers, and South Asian Health Ambassadors.
- Coordinate with other Heart and Stroke programs and work within the fundraising environment to provide information to Foundation fundraisers
- Accountable for developing, implementing and monitoring the regional plan
- Accountable for building and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, especially those within the South Asian Community.
- Balancing the needs of a large population base with the role as provincial lead for South Asian Communities. Must be familiar with Peel Region and South Asian Communities.
- Maximizing opportunities and minimizing overlaps/confusion between existing fundraising programs and new initiatives
- Balancing the need to be responsive to communities as well as to province wide goals for greatest impact on mission
- Be managed remotely within a fundraising office and in a situation in which the job’s focus is mission within a broader team that is focused on fundraising
- Managing a large number of relationships and expectations with both internal and external stakeholders
- Measuring the success of regional and local programs
- Managing through situations where autonomous decisions have been made and implemented by self or others but within a set internal structure
- 4+ years of health, recreation and/or partner/network experience
- Related post secondary education (i.e., public health, dietician, nursing, health promotion, adult education)
- Community development and engagement experience
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with leading stakeholders
- Experience working with South Asian Communities
- Knowledge or experience recruiting and working with volunteers
- Proven ability to persuade and lead
- Proven ability to manage workload with little structure
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Please forward your resume to:
Human Resources Department
2300 Yonge Street, 13th Floor,
Toronto, Ontario M4P 1E4
Please include the job title in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.