Deadline July 12, 2011
The Regional Municipality of York consists of a dynamic blend of rural and urban communities. The nine local municipalities provide a mix of small-town and city living with an emphasis on fostering community character. As one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers (2011), York Region offers diverse and vibrant career opportunities that reflect the ideals, spirit and quality of life of a much sought-after and growing metropolis.
Community and Health Services Department
Public Health Branch, Healthy Living Division
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Temporary Full-Time, Approx. 5 months, Salary $44.72 - $48.62 per hour
Reporting to the Manager, Epidemiology and Research, is responsible for monitoring and reporting on the health status of Regional residents; conducting epidemiological investigations; contributing to applied public health research; and providing consulting services to the Public Health Branch.
- Successful completion of a Masters Degree in Epidemiology (e.g. MHSc, MSc or MPH).
- Minimum two (2) years experience as an Epidemiologist or equivalent experience in a related Public Health setting.
- Demonstrated experience with the use of public heath indicators.
- Extensive experience with Internet, Intranet and external data warehouse environments and their application to related projects and programs.
- Demonstrated experience with various software applications including statistical and epidemiological packages such as IBM SPSS, SAS Web Report Studio, and/or Cognos Report Net and MS Office software applications.
- Knowledge of RRFSS, CCHS, iPHIS, Census, intelliHEALTH ONTARIO and other emerging survey tools and database sources.
- In-depth knowledge of current issues and practices related to epidemiology, public health and health determinants and outcomes.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self management, accountability, flexibility and adaptability.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and well-developed presentation skills.
- Ability to summarize complex data into understandable, user-friendly explanations and formats for management and staff.
- Ability to travel to off site locations in a timely and efficient manner, as required.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
Please apply on-line at www.york.ca by 4:30 p.m. on July 12, 2011 quoting competition #OHP11641. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For additional information on York Region, please visit the above-mentioned website.