Deadline August 5, 2011
The Ontario Tobacco Research Unit (OTRU), Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto is conducting a search for a Research Associate (Limited Term) to lead evaluation and research projects in tobacco control and other public health areas. This position, reporting to the Director (Evaluation and Monitoring), is part of a multi-disciplinary team. Within the team, the incumbent will participate in further developing the evaluation research program; this will include design, management and knowledge exchange related to unique evaluation projects and playing a key role in evaluating Ontario’s tobacco control strategy.
The Research Associate will be involved in evaluation research activities for OTRU, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Design and implementation of evaluation projects.
- Knowledge exchange
- Assisting with the design and management of data collection systems for a number of ongoing and new evaluation projects
- Assisting with the evaluation and reporting process for funded organizations
- Expanding upon current methodology for measuring the effectiveness of programs tobacco control and other public health interventions
- Contributing to the development, compilation and dissemination of periodic reports evaluating the effectiveness of tobacco control strategy programming.
- Playing a major role in the development of proposals for submission to research granting councils and applied research sources;
- Producing papers for peer-reviewed publications;
- Competing for investigator awards appropriate to career stage
- Interacting with staff and relevant stakeholders in evaluation, collaborative research, and knowledge exchange activities
- Contributing to the general work environment and intellectual life of OTRU.
- Supervising and mentoring research and administrative staff.
- Working with the Directors for Evaluation and Research to assess gaps and determine additional evaluative research needs in tobacco control and other public health areas.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in public health or relevant social science discipline
- Two years of evaluation research experience, in public health or a comparable field preferably with policy-based outcome models
- Track record of publications in peer reviewed journals
- Experience in evaluation research project management and direction
- Analytical skills, including design, analyses and reporting on complex, multivariate models and qualitative analysis;
- Exceptional management and mentoring skills
- Knowledge of science/evidence-based content and context of tobacco control initiatives in public health settings would be an asset
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders at international, national provincial and local levels in government, research, and service provision
The preferred candidate will be committed to a participatory model of program evaluation that entails a willingness to involve community, provincial and national providers to maximize results. OTRU will require evidence of peer reviewed journal articles, publications, reports or contracted services in support of qualifications.
Note that this is a one-year term position with the possibility of renewal.
Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, August 5, 2011.
Please send applications to:
Robert Schwartz, Ph.D.
Ontario Tobacco Research Unit
Dalla Lana School of Public Health
University of Toronto
155 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 3M7