Deadline August 22, 2011
Position No.: 2011-22
35 hrs/week – 1 FTE
Location: Southgate -- Guelph
Program/Division: Communications, Finance and Corporate Services
Program Manager: Manager - Communications
This position provides support to internal clients on public relations, community relations, resources development, media relations, internal communications and communications strategies. Provides expertise and direction to staff and management on risk communications and emerging issues. Supports management
in the development, implementation and evaluation of communications plans and strategies to address communications needs for both external and internal audiences.
Area of Responsibilities:
Coordinate print material development process:
- Write and/or edit materials for internal and external audiences. Target the message to specific audiences based on assessment and evaluation.
- Oversee design and print functions.
- Coordinate activities of contractors such as graphic designer, printer, photographer, videographer; e.g. identify which agency projects need contract services, decide which contractor best fits the needs of the project, ensure
- availability of contractor, negotiate project timelines and costs, problem solve, oversee quality control, and ensure purchase orders and invoices are processed.
- Regularly update style guide and customize to needs of agency, new program language changes, etc.
- Train and support all staff in usage of style guide, logo standards, design software.
- Develop relationships with the various media outlets in our region.
- Monitor local media for: public perceptions of health issues and Agency’s programs and services, opportunities and potential threats in the community.
- As part of programs/corporate media initiative, develop media strategy and research, write and distribute media releases.
- Coach and train Managers, Directors, MOH as media spokespeople.
Support the development of marketing and communication campaigns for programs:
- Consult with programs on strategies to reach target groups through multiple communications platforms.
- Provide communications expertise to community coalitions and partner agencies, as negotiated by Public Health and partnerships.
Risk management and issues management (outbreaks):
- Provide technical assistance to MOH/CEO, Directors and Managers and consult on communications strategies to address identified gaps, issues and crises.
- Collaborate with IMS team for the local outbreaks. Consult with management to prepare content of correspondence, advisories, alerts, editorials, and bulletins.
- Monitor issues and emerging trends in the media. Notify managers/directors of emerging issues, implications to programs/agency, tactics to address.
- Supporting cross-program projects
- Corporate communication strategies
- Internal communications
- Online communications.
Hours of work: Office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Flexible working hours are required
Salary: $31.73/hr to $37.33/hr
Position Effective: As soon as possible
- 4 year bachelor’s degree: In English, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or Marketing
- Public Relations Accreditation (APR or ABS) preferred
- Certified Professional Editor preferred
- 2 years experience working in a team setting
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Critical thinking, time management and crisis communications skills
- Broad knowledge and experience in the area of marketing, corporate communications, health literacy and plain language.
- Knowledge of traditional media and social media applications in health care
- Valid driver’s license and use of vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza immunization and adult immunization.
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please forward a resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
474 Wellington Road 18, Suite 100
Fergus, ON N1M 2W3
Fax (519) 846-0323
Deadline for application is Monday August 22nd, at 4:30 p.m.