Deadline September 14, 2011
City of Hamilton
City Manager’s Office (Human Resources Division – Health, Safety & Wellness - Location – 120 King St. W., 9th Floor)
Healthy Workplace Specialist (1 Permanent Full Time Position)
Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Manager, Health, Safety & Wellness, develops, implements and evaluates health promotion programs and policies to promote and improve the well-being of the City’s workforce and the health of its workplaces and its employees.
- Develop and recommend corporate goals and objectives as they relate to workplace health and wellness initiatives by gathering and reviewing existing data and information related to organizational and individual health and wellness levels and by conducting needs assessments.
- Assist in the development, implementation, regular review and reporting on the City of Hamilton’s wellness strategy and related programs and initiatives.
- Develop and implement employee health education and wellness programs based on defined priorities and targeted at specific workplace groups including annual influenza immunization programs. Works collaboratively and consults regularly with other Human Resources staff in the distributed and central units to ensure effective service delivery that balances client needs and corporate priorities.
- Develop, implement and evaluate health communication initiatives and organize and conduct information and education sessions.
- Conduct evaluations of programs and initiatives and make recommendations regarding viability, modifications or discontinuance based on evaluation results.
- Collaborate with other members of the Human Resources Department in the development, implementation and evaluation of health promotion programs.
- Develop workplace health and wellness policies through consultation, negotiation, research and analysis of policy options. Once adopted, provides training and consultation support, monitors and evaluates policy implementation.
- Support the City’s Critical Incident Peer Support team, Health, Safety and Wellness Specialists and local and corporate healthy workplace committees.
- Provide oversight to the Employee & Family Assistance Program.
- Compile health and wellness resources for workplace distribution.
- Remain current with the literature on workplace health and wellness, including health promotion strategies, to assist with priority setting, program targeting and determination of workplace strategies.
- Prepare written and verbal reports for Hamilton City Council, Senior Management Team and as requested by departmental leadership.
- Participate actively on various committees related to health and wellness; Represent the City on external healthy workplace advisory or professional groups/committees.
- Provide training and consultation on health promotion strategies to HR Department staff, workplace managers and unions.
- Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in health promotion, program planning, implementation and evaluation normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in Health Promotion, Behavioural Science, Occupational Health or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and related experience. Post-graduate education in a relate area is an asset.
- Experience developing workplace/corporate wellness strategies and programs and thorough knowledge of healthy workplace frameworks and best practices.
- Experience in computerized work environment. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and database software.
- Demonstrated ability in identifying priorities for targeted health promotion programming by reviewing epidemiological, behavioural and socio-demographic data related to health promotion.
- Demonstrated ability in conducting needs assessments.
- Well-developed research, reasoning, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Professional, well-developed and highly effective written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility and workload management skills to effectively respond in a quick turnaround environment.
- Thorough knowledge of analytical research methodologies and computerized analytical techniques.
- Demonstrated presentation skills and ability to express ideas effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Must keep up-to-date on innovative health promotion strategies and effective health promotion strategies reported in the literature and in networking with peers and experts in the field.
Salary: Salary Grade 6, $74,612.72 - $87,265.36 per annum
Hours: 35 per week
The incumbent shall comply with all health and safety policies and practices for this position and the workplace.
This Notice was posted on September 1, 2011 and closes on September 14, 2011.
It is the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above with their application for this competition and ensure that their application reaches the Human Resources Department by the closing date or they may not be considered. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all present employees.
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit http://www.hamilton.ca/careers for position details and to apply online.
Alternatively, you may send your resume, by September 14, 2011, quoting competition number 7586, to:
Staffing/Workforce Planning Specialist
c/o City Hall, 71 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5
Standard Life Building
120 King Street West, 9th Floor