November 4-5, 2011
9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Room 1424, 1145 Carling AvenueThe Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre
613.722.6521 Ext 6535
Mental Health First Aid is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis is resolved. The concept is based on the model of medical first aid.
Mental Health First Aid is an evidence-based course developed in Australia by Betty Kitchener and Professor Tony Jorm. The course has been formally evaluated and shows a number of benefits:
- Better recognition of mental health problems
- Increased knowledge about appropriate treatments
- Reduced stigmaIncreased confidence in providing help to others
Mental Health First Aid Course teaches people to:
- Identify when a person may be a danger to themselves or to others and take steps to preserve life
- Recognize the early signs of mental health problems and provide help toward preventing more serious problems from developing
- Provide comfort to someone with a mental health problem and support them in their recovery
- Guide a person toward the appropriate professional help.
Who should attend? Everyone can benefit from Mental Health First Aid Canada – members of the general public, teachers, health service providers, university students, emergency workers, frontline workers who deal with the public, volunteers, human resources professionals, employers, community groups.
After completing the Mental Health First Aid Canada course, participants will receive a Mental Health First Aid Canada Certificate. Participants are also provided with the first aid package which covers the course content and provides additional resources. Participants must attend all 12-14 hours of the course to receive their certificate.
The fee is $180.
- Karen Poole, M.A., M.S.W.(equiv), R.S.W., Chief, Social Work, Royal Ottawa Health Care Group
- Cynthia Clark, BA Sociology, Family and Community Coordinator, Schizophrenia Society of Ontario
To register, please visit http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=1013457.