Deadline November 14, 2011
Position No.: 2011-27
Position Title: Manager – Communications, Permanent, 1 FTE – 35 hrs/week
Location: Southgate - Guelph
Program/Division: Communications Finance - Corporate Services
Report to: Director, Finance – Corporate Services
Provide direction, leadership, administration and overall supervision for corporate communications at WDGPH and assigned staff.
Work collaboratively with both internal and external clients to manage corporate communications, providing knowledge and leadership in the areas of public relations, community relations, resource development, risk communications for emergency responses including disease outbreaks, internal and external communications and media relations.
Provide strategic consultation and technical assistance to Medical Offer of Health/CEO, Directors and Managers and consults on communications strategies to address identified gaps, issues, and crises. Usually involve monitoring emerging issues and trends.
Knowledge about related legislations, guidelines and protocols for relevant communications, including copyright, evidence based research and reference information as well as the Ontario Public Health Act and Health Promotion & Protection Act as they pertain to communications.
Manage and provide leadership to the team as they plan, implement and evaluate assigned programs and services. Responsible for the day-to-day activities related to assigned program areas.
Attend monthly management meetings, including the Board of Health meetings.
Monitor and analyze the assigned program budget, consulting with the Division Director and the Agency Finance staff as appropriate. Maintain the program budget within a 5% budget variance. Participate in the development and implementation of strategies to operate within the approved budget. Authorize expenditures and approve invoices for program level spending in accordance with Agency policy.
Will be responsible to apply the following standards based on the Ontario Public Health Association:
- Program Planning and Development
- Assessment and Analysis
- Partnerships, Collaboration
- Diversity and inclusiveness
- Policy and program implementation
- Ethics and professionalism
Hours of Work: Office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Flexible working hours are required
Salary: $47.79/hr to $56.23/hr
Position Effective: As soon as possible
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Public Health, Business Administration or other related field.
- Four to six years experience in job specialty
- Two to four years experience in policy development, program planning and evaluation, project management, human resources related issues/direct staff supervision preferred.
- Knowledge of corporate communications and risk communications
- Communications skills, presentation skills and media relations experience
- Critical thinking, ability to analyze information
- Conflict management and negotiation skills
- Ability to build consensus, function in a team environment
- Knowledge of program and workplace legislative requirements
- Valid driver’s license and use of vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza immunization and adult immunization.
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please forward a resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
474 Wellington Road 18, Suite 100, RR#1
Fergus, ON N1M 2W3
Fax (519) 846-0323
Deadline for application is Monday, November 14, 2011 at 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
“WDG Public Health is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine eligibility of employment”.