New Issue of Research Update
- Outside Looking In: A Recreational Youth Development Program for Aboriginal Youth – This article describes how an arts-based, recreational youth development program called Outside Looking In is part of a new trend that is more inclusive of Aboriginal cultural practices and values, and more focused on addressing the self-determined needs of Aboriginal people.
- Challenges in Meeting Diabetes Nutrition Recommendations in an Elderly Population – This article discusses the findings of a research study that examined the accessibility and availability of food items in the diet plans of low-income, elderly people with type 2 diabetes, living in the City of Edmonton. The findings serve to outline some of the challenges faced by the elderly in following a diabetes diet, particularly those with low income who may experience food insecurity.
- For Practitioners. Our Physical Activity Counselling Toolkit is now available in French and Punjabi! This toolkit is proving to be practical and popular; watch for Spanish and Chinese versions in the New Year!
- Register Now for Home Support Exercise Program Facilitator (HSEP-F) Workshop on February 3rd, 2012. Learn more.
- Active Aging Fitness Practitioner Certificate. Check out this online or on-campus program offered by Grande Prairie Regional College.
- Visit the New Sacred Circle Website. Launched in November by the Sacred Circle Aboriginal Diabetes Initiative, in partnership with Health Canada and the Alberta Native Friendship Centres Association.
- Battle the Winter Blues! Reminder to check out the Winter Walking for Walking Leaders video. This video project was led by the Be Fit for Life Network of the Alberta Provincial Fitness Unit, in association with the Community Walking Project and the Alberta Centre for Active Living.
- In Case You Missed It. Check out the October issue of WellSpring: Targeting Adverse Cardiovascular Outcomes in Adult Canadians of South Asian Ancestry.
For more information, please visit http://http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/.