Deadline March 30, 2012
Term: Full-time Regular
Posting Date: March 9, 2012
Closing Date: March 30, 2012
Location: 480 University Avenue
Public Health Ontario (“PHO”) is an arm's-length government agency dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. Further information is available at http://www.oahpp.ca.
- Working in concert with the Chief, Communicable and Infectious Disease and Medical Director for Infection Prevention and Control, the Director Infection Prevention and Control provides operational leadership to:
- Plan, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate PHO’s infection prevention and control programs and services.
- The scientific and technical services for the prevention and control of infectious diseases in institutional and other healthcare settings.
The Director will also work closely with other Directors in the Science and Public Health Portfolio, the Operational Directors in the Laboratory portfolio, and colleagues in the Corporate Services to ensure that activities are planned and implemented consistent with PHO directives and policies.
- Leads, manages and evaluates the implementation and delivery of infection prevention and control programs and the scientific and technical services for the prevention and control of infectious diseases in institutional and other healthcare settings.
- Integrates services into the PHO operational and business cycle; assists with planning activities to ensure that priorities are met in a fiscally responsible way and that deliverables are designed, implemented and evaluated with a focus on enhancing their effectiveness and meeting program goals.
- Directs and supports program managers on corporate and business related matters and supports operational and reporting activities including ensuring consistency and compliance to corporate human resource, procurement, financial and general administrative policies and approval processes.
- Mobilizes units and cross-functional teams to ensure appropriate responses to requests for service and public health incidents, and to support PHO scientific and research priorities working in close partnership and with the guidance of the Chief and Medical Director.
- Directs the coordination and support to PHO advisory committees including relevant PIDAC committees.
- Works with the Medical Director and scientific staff to develop common project management standards and methodologies for science- based projects and research operations and a consistent approach to project resource allocation where applicable.
- Works with the Medical Director and scientific staff to plan and advise on project activities, planning and scoping of resources and subject matter expertise, accountabilities, timing and project requirements and related priorities.
- Works with the Chief and Medical Director to support the development of annual operational plans and with the Director, Planning and Implementation to ensure that annual business plan, functional strategy and operational requirements are integrated across PHO.
- Represents the Department and its services in interactions with partners, clients and stakeholders.
- Manages and supervises all financial resources and staff within the Department, including directing, planning, monitoring and evaluating resources congruent with PHO internal policies and procedures, professional standards, labour relations requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations; advises on staff training needs and recommends human and financial resources to meet program delivery goals; build and leads a team of multi-disciplinary experts which supports the Agency’s activities in the program area.
- Participates as a member of other PHO or stakeholder project teams by maintaining effective and efficient working relationships and contributing to the operation of PHO as a whole, as a member of the senior team.
- Provides direct response in an emergency, pursuant to responsibilities as delegated in an emergency response plan.
- Takes on other duties and responsibilities, as required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of the roles, authority, and priorities of the various external stakeholders in the public health system including public health units, public health associations, Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, in order to manage operations and develop operational strategies/solutions in the context of the system as a whole; firm understanding of the Canadian public health and healthcare systems.
- Advanced knowledge of infection prevention and control and the interventions and strategies used to control infectious disease in institutional settings.
- Excellent knowledge of, and expertise in contemporary general management methodologies including operational planning, resource management, business and financial analysis, human resources management, performance measurement, risk assessment/management, information management, business improvement, and change management in order to plan, monitor and evaluate the delivery of department projects, services and initiatives.
- Strong facilitation capacity and motivation to achieve results in collaboration with other professionals, particularly in an environment where influence is as important as positional authority.
- Knowledge of the roles and authorities of governmental ministries and agencies and their priories and practices.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, team building and relationship building skills in order to interact well with stakeholders, maintain effective linkages with all levels of contacts and deliver results on time and within budget; proven ability to work as a collaborative team member, with ability to negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly organized with priority setting and workload management skills to coordinate multiple, concurrent issues and projects and provide direction to staff; excellent problem solving skills.
- Strong diplomacy and interpersonal skills and experience developing networks and partnerships with one or more of public health, research, academic, and institutional sectors.
- Strong analytical and conceptual abilities to implement the required cultural changes of staff and stakeholders.
- Written and oral communication skills in order to prepare a range of materials including project status report, costs, risks and schedules and to create briefing notes and executive correspondence, reports, prepare presentations and a wide variety of other materials for third parties. Demonstrated ability to identify and communicate complex issues to a wide range of stakeholders. Experience having introduced new initiatives and implemented them.
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs including: project management, database management, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications, (MS Office).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement complex projects from design to execution within a matrix organization.
- Strategic capacity to think and work across a system and thrive in a dynamic changing environment.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in health-related discipline (preferred), or a Master’s degree in management, business administration, or public administration, with experience in managing/coordinating staff and multi-disciplinary teams with and without line authority.
- 10+ years management experience in a broader public sector organization with senior level experience leading complex projects with scientific disciplines.
- Experience in working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams.
- Certification in infection control would be an asset
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.