Deadline: August 31, 2012
Black Creek Community Health Centre
Diabetes Education Program
Permanent Full-time (1.0 FTE)
Black Creek Community Health Centre is a non-profit, community based organization that provides health care services and works with people to create safe and healthy communities. The Centre is funded by the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) and has received additional funding from the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for the expansion of the Diabetes Education Program. We are currently seeking 1 Chiropodist to join our interdisciplinary team. Working closely with the Registered Dietitians, Diabetes Nurse Educators, Social Worker and Community Health Worker, the Chiropodist is responsible for providing foot care services for adults living with Type 2 Diabetes, and supporting the development and implementation of the Diabetes Education Program.
- Perform clinical duties by assessing clients for routine foot health and illness care, treating and preventing disease, dysfunction or disorders of the foot by therapeutic, surgical, palliative or orthotic means, and practicing within the scope of practice.
- Use a variety of teaching methods and principles of education to assist clients to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to self manage their diabetes and taking into consideration cultural background and the social determinants of health.
- Ensure appropriate, comprehensive treatment is delivered by maintaining complete and accurate clinical records, participating in chart reviews and discussions of problem cases, answering patient enquiries and directing patients to or providing appropriate treatment.
- Assist in planning, programming and resource development of diabetes education and Health Centre services.
- Contribute to policy development in relation to health care service delivery and/or professional practice
- Maintain and develop professional competence through appropriate continuing education (i.e. peer interaction, literature review, conferences, courses or educational leave).Engage in health promotion activities on and off site in collaboration with other service providers
- Act as a diabetes resource to staff members and community partners
- Ensure chiropody areas, resources, materials and equipment are maintained
- Degree from a recognized school of chiropody.
- Current registration with and member in good standing with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario with no limitations.
- Thorough knowledge of and proficiency in the underlying theory and practical application of chiropody.
- Three to five years chiropody experience in a community-based and/or hospital setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care and resources.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity and awareness of cultural, racial, economic and socially diverse communities
- Ability to communicate in a second language relevant to catchment area populations is an asset.
- Willingness to work at multiple sites due to program scheduling & requirements.
- Evening work will be required
- Subject to a Police Reference Check
- A nice sense of humour wouldn’t hurt.
Black Creek CHC offers a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package, along with a positive and rewarding work environment. Our goal is to recruit and retain individuals who are highly motivated to work with us in achieving our mission of enhancing community health. We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the diversity of our community.
Start Date: September, 2012
Salary Range: $56, 356 - $68, 065
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume and cover letter by Friday, August 31, 2012to the attention of: Michelle Westin, Manager – Diabetes Education Program – Black Creek CommunityHealth Centre: Suite 5 - 2202 Jane Street, Toronto, ON M3M 1A4, or by email to [email protected], or by fax: 416-249-4594
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.