No deadline noted
Program: Infection Prevention and Control
Organizational Overview: Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
Public Health Ontario provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about Public Health Ontario, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
For information on the Regional Infection Control Networks, please visit http://www.ricn.on.
Position Title: Infection Control Consultant, NSMICN
Department: Infection Prevention and Control
Duration: Permanent Fulltime
Location: 7-80 Victoria Street, Orillia, Ontario, L3V 7E4
Position Status: Permanent Full-time
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Job Code: 18PGS - General Scientific
Salary: $65,695 - $81,219 annual
Posting Date: August 28, 2012
Closing Date: This posting will remain active until vacancy is filled
The Infection Prevention and Control Consultant is responsible for providing a range of educational and consultative services to front-line staff involved with infection prevention and control in regional stakeholder organizations.
- Develops and delivers educational programs on infection prevention and control for stakeholders through interactive training sessions, workshops or individual consultations which encourage front-line providers to change/modify their behaviours with respect to infection prevention and control; provides reference resources such as drawn from a variety of sources; evaluates the success of the training sessions; acts as a mentor for new infection prevention and control professionals as part of a formal educational program.
- Reviews and advises on local infection prevention and control practices; promotes and assists in the development of standardized programs, resources, policies/procedures and protocols throughout the region so that each category of facility is responding in a similar manner; disseminates guidelines/best practices across the health care continuum.
- Develops and sustains collaborative partnerships with front-line staff within stakeholder organizations throughout the region; brings together individuals with common issues or problems on projects to facilitate the exchange of information; contributes to the development and implementation of the Network’s mandate and operating procedures by taking a significant role in the identification, participation or facilitation of projects that fit PHO’s mission; participates on provincial working groups.
- Responds to requests from stakeholders on a wide variety of infection prevention and control issues, provides timely guidance and advice based on current evidence and best practices, including: making recommendations on practical measures or alternative solutions for their local health care settings based on an operational knowledge of the location; identifying problems and devising possible solutions to prevent and control adverse situations.
- Participates in department research activities as appropriate, keeps apprised of the latest research and developments in infectious disease prevention and infection control within PHO and at other institutions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Thorough knowledge of infection prevention and control best practice standards within a variety of health care settings, e.g. acute care, long-term care, community care, etc.
- Knowledge of the operations and authority of the various local stakeholders in the infection prevention and control system, e.g. community laboratories, hospitals, health care providers, and public health units, with a thorough understanding of relevant regulations and trends in epidemiology, public health, acute care, long-term care and surveillance (e.g. privacy legislation).
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, team building and relationship building skills in order to interact well with all stakeholders, maintain effective linkages with all levels of contacts; proven ability to work as a collaborative team member with a track record in developing professional networks/partnerships.
- Ability to facilitate groups, deliver formal learning/training sessions and presentations using adult learning techniques within a variety of settings for professional staff.
- Analytical, problem solving and evaluation skills to assess the nature of the questions received and affect change in practical situations.
- Oral communication skills with an ability to initiate and model positive change.
- Highly organized, with an ability to determine priorities and plan activities while performing a variety of different responsibilities with conflicting deadlines, particularly to determine the importance and urgency of issues and to respond effectively to fluctuating work load demands in a fast paced environment.
- Written communication and editorial skills in order to prepare briefing notes, reports, letters, presentations, educational sessions and a wide variety of other materials.
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs including: database management, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications, (MS Office).
- Ability to work independently and on own with minimal supervision, may be required to travel within geographic area.
- Education and Experience Degree or diploma in relevant health science or related discipline together with Certification in Infection Control (CIC).
- At least five years of experience in Infection Prevention and Control.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.