Deadline February 28, 2013
Vacancy/Poste Vacant: Senior Advisor, Policy
Reports To/Supérieur Hiérarchique: Director, External Relations
Location/Emplacement: Downtown Toronto Subway Location On University Ave
Status/Situation: Permanent Full Time
No. Of Vacancies/Nombre De Postes Vacants: One Hire
Posting Date/Date D’affichage: February 1, 2013
Closing Date/Date Limite: February 28, 2013
Position Summary/Résumé Du Poste:
The Senior Advisor, Policy will be responsible for helping advance CCO’s public policy development goals. This position will work with all CCO portfolios to help identify research and evidence work that can be used to develop health policy in areas of chronic disease prevention. The successful candidate will take initiative to lead the development of healthcare policy that can be used by CCO to advance its mission to improve the performance of Ontario’s health systems. In addition to this, the successful candidate will analyze relevant public policy work to inform and guide prevention and clinical programs and initiatives in CCO’s portfolios. This position reports to the Director, External Relations, and works with employees at all levels of CCO and externally.
- Lead the coordination and creation of policy development opportunities and initiatives.
- Support the Executive Team and CEO with the identification of CCO’s priority public policy areas.
- Support and lead the advancement of key CCO public policy initiatives.
- Convene CCO policy leaders to advise on policy best practices and provide strategic counsel on how to ensure policy initiatives evolve to a state where they can be communicated and implemented.
- Identify and analyze relevant external public policy work and disseminate to appropriate CCO portfolios.
- Work with CCO portfolios to identify public policy advancement opportunities.
- Provide counsel, support, and guidance to CCO portfolios and Executive Team on public policy changes and opportunities that may affect CCO’s key areas of focus.
- Engage external partners to advance public policy initiatives, and to gain understanding of sector priorities.
- Gain and maintain an intimate understanding of CCO’s external partners and their public policies.
- Conduct research and environmental scans to inform CCO policy initiatives.
- Anticipate, monitor, and analyze policy and legislative changes that have the potential to impact CCO and its operations.
- Provide counsel, and create materials and presentations, to support interactions with CCO’s partners.
- Monitor stakeholder needs, public opinions, and trends.
- Represent the department internally on committees and working groups.
- Completion of a relevant degree in healthcare policy, public administration, political science, business management, or related discipline, with five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in a medium to large organization.
- Experience working in the healthcare sector, with firm understanding of Ontario healthcare stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically and turn vision and objectives into tactical plans.
- Excellent interpersonal, consensus building, teamwork, leadership, and relationship-building skills.
- Track record in developing professional networks and partnerships.
- Highly organized with priority setting and workload management skills to coordinate multiple concurrent issues and projects.
- Self-motivated, with track record of taking initiative.
- Strong strategic planning and project management skills.
- Ability to work under high pressure.
- Proven record of leading teams, inspiring working groups, and managing budgets.
- Effective and confident presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement complex projects from design to execution.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, please prepare a basic, text-based version of your resume to paste into the text resume application box. Then, near the end of the application process, even after clicking on ‘Submit’, you will be invited to attach up to three separate files to your application. Please make one of these attached files your formatted resume in either a .doc, .rtf, or .pdf format.
More about Cancer Care Ontario:
Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) -- an Ontario government agency -- drives quality and continuous improvement in disease prevention and screening, the delivery of care and the patient experience, for cancer, chronic kidney disease and access to care for key health services.
Known for its innovation and results driven approaches, CCO leads multi-year system planning, contracts for services with hospitals and providers, develops and deploys information systems, establishes guidelines and standards and tracks performance targets to ensure system-wide improvements in cancer, chronic kidney disease and access to care.
Our website is at: http://www.cancercare.on.ca
We are guided in most part by the Ontario Cancer Plan at: http://www.ontariocancerplan.on.ca
Information about Ontario’s ColonCancerCheck program managed by Cancer Care Ontario can be found at: http://www.coloncancercheck.ca
Cancer Care Ontario manages the medical procedures wait times information system for all Ontarians at:
View our listing of all other CCO current postings at: http://www.cancercare.on.ca/careers
Cancer Care Ontario is a HOOPP pension plan employer, see the details at: http://www.hoopp.ca