North Bay, Ontario
Deadline April 15, 2013
Hours of Work: Temporary - Full-Time – 35 Hours Per Week
Effective: July 22, 2013 to July 18, 2014 (Subject to Change)
Location: Main Office - North Bay
Additional Info: Leave of Absence
Position Summary: Reporting to the Manager of Planning and Evaluation and as a member of a multidisciplinary team, the Epidemiologist is responsible for: providing leadership and support to health unit surveillance activities; collecting, analyzing, monitoring, interpreting and disseminating demographic and health status data to support planning and decision-making; providing epidemiological expertise and analytical support to outbreak and cluster investigations; assisting in the implementation of the Ontario Public Health Standards; conducting research on priority populations and emerging health status trends; and, reviewing proposed research projects with regards to methodology and analyses.
Education, Experience, Skills &Abilities:
- Masters of Science in Epidemiology or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- Minimum of three years experience in epidemiology and research, with epidemiology experience in a public health setting preferred
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of communicable disease surveillance, including outbreak detection, investigation and analysis
- Comprehensive knowledge and demonstrated skills in epidemiological and statistical methods, applied research, and current related best practices
- Familiarity with current public health issues and the Ontario Public Health Standards
- Advanced computer, internet and data management skills combined with experience using statistical, data management and Microsoft Office software packages
- Experience with the Integrated Public Health Information System (iPHIS) and intelliHEALTH Ontario
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in an interdisciplinary team, and to utilize positive problem solving strategies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, in particular report writing and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to respond to, and meet, competing priorities
- Ability to work flex hours (i.e. occasional evenings and weekends) when necessary
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check: recent, within four (4) months at their expense and will be required to comply with the Health Unit’s immunization policies.
Hourly Rate: Minimum $38.65 to Maximum $43.50 (plus 4% vacation pay and 4% in lieu of public holidays)
Closing Date: April 15, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
Please forward your letter of application, resume, proof of education required for this position to:
Wendy Moore, Human Resources Assistant
Attention: Job #PH/2013/012
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit, 681 Commercial Street, North Bay, ON P1B 4E7 or
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Once posting is closed, please refer to website for status of job posting.
The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer