No deadline noted
Position: Youth Innovator
Start Date: May 20, 2013
Duration: 12 weeks
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is recruiting a team of two Health Innovators for an intensive twelve-week placement in Koforidua, Ghana starting May 20, 2013.
This exciting Youth Innovator opportunity will include a pre-project distance-learning program, followed by an intensive twelve-week placement in Koforidua, Ghana. While in country, the Youth Innovator will support YCI’s local partner, the YMCA and the Ghana Coalition of NGO’s in Health, to deliver Train-the-Trainer adolescent reproductive health workshops.
Key Responsibilities In conjunction with partner staff:
- Research and gather data on the successes and challenges of the ALERT project in the Eastern Region (HIV/AIDS School Model)
- Develop action items and recommendations to support the ALERT project
- Plan and facilitate Train-the-TrainerHIV/AIDS and Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) workshops with Teachers and Mentors
- Plan and execute a malaria outreach campaign with Mentors through education and distribution of treated bed nets
- Prepare monthly activity reports to inform future groups and partner staff
Your Skills and Experience:
- University or College degree in nursing, public health, social work or another relevant degree
- Experience working in HIV/AIDS and/or Sexual Reproductive Health with marginalized populations
- Experience working with Train-the-Trainer programs and facilitation
- Minimum of 1 year relevant work experience required.
- Excellent analytical, planning, organizational and project management skills
- Prior cross-cultural experience and strong inter-cultural communication skills
- Experience working with grassroots organizations
- Overseas experience an asset
Fundraising Goal: YCI volunteers are required to fundraise and/or contribute a minimum of $600 for these projects to contribute towards YCI’s global youth development programs.
- Preparatory support and pre-project distance learning
- In-country orientation
- Modest local accommodation and food
- In-country work-related travel
- Comprehensive emergency travel medical insurance
What’s Not Covered:
- Personal expenses
- Visa fees
- Supplemental travel medical insurance
- Participants will be expected obtain the required vaccinations and take anti-malarials at their own expense
Please apply online using YCI’s volunteer application form at http://www.yci.org/html/volunteer/globally/applynow.asp.
When submitting your application online, please also send a copy of your resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the section “Please share with us your reason for selecting these particular countries, project lengths, range of months and sector focus,” specify that you are applying for the “Ghana Health Innovator Project – 2013”. Please highlight your skills and experience that make you a suitable candidate for this volunteer opportunity.
About YCI: Youth Challenge International is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Building on over 20 years of experience, YCI’s programs are designed to meet the needs of youth affected by poverty through four integrated sectors: livelihoods, health, leadership and the environment. We engage youth in creating solutions to the challenges they face. YCI incorporates youth development, volunteerism, partnership and equity into all that we do.