Deadline May 3, 2013
Title: Nurse Practitioner – Primary Health Care
Location: East End Community Health Centre, 1619 Queen Street East, Toronto ON
Position type: On-going, with benefits
Hours of work: 30 hours (3-4 days) per week, with the flexibility to work an extra day as needed. This extra day may be for clinical or administrative work.
Deadline: May 3rd at 12:00pm.
To learn more about East End CHC, visit http://www.eastendchc.on.ca.
As a member of an interdisciplinary team, the nurse practitioner functions interdependently with other Centre staff to provide shared, client-centered care that emphasizes health promotion, disease prevention and client education. The nurse practitioner provides primary health care within the full scope of practice to clients at all stages of their lives. This position shares care with physicians for clients who have complex and/or chronic health conditions. The nurse practitioner practices according to the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and to guidelines and policies established at East End Community Health Centre.
Provide primary health care by:
- conducting client interviews and examinations, making assessments, developing treatment plans, communicating these to clients, and providing treatment, procedures, and follow-up care;
- ordering, performing and reviewing diagnostic tests;
- prescribing medication as needed, and monitoring for effectiveness;
- referring clients to other staff or specialists, as appropriate;
- making home visits, as required; and
- promoting healthy living choices and providing health education to clients.
- Provide telephone triage and consultation.
- Obtain, document and interpret client information and maintain client records according to the standard of medical records at East End CHC, including assuring privacy and confidentiality.
- Provide services following best practice guidelines, and adhering to accepted safety and infection control standards.
- Provide and receive consults on client care to/from other members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Perform functions of the Clinical Assistant (CA) when CA not on duty.
- Contribute to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of medical protocols and directives. Work within established East End CHC medical directives.
- Participate in clinical team audits and other quality improvement, accreditation and best practice activities.
- Inform and support the development, implementation and evaluation of health education and promotion programs and activities as needed, in response to community health team’s requests.
- Maintain and develop professional competence as defined by CNO through appropriate continuing education opportunities, including accredited activities, self-reflection, and performance review, in consultation with the Executive Director. Share learnings with all team members.
- Advocate on behalf of clients to meet basic health needs and identify advocacy issues to support and inform the board’s efforts to advocate for healthy public policies.
- Mentor, teach and evaluate students at the Centre, as appropriate.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Must be registered in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner by August 13, 2013
- Three to five years experience in a health care setting with preferred experience in the community
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated ability, commitment to and knowledge of community health care
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal skills with clients in a culturally diverse practice population, and with colleagues
- Excellent communication, decision-making, problem-solving, conflict management and time management skills
- Second language, relevant to catchment area populations, is an asset
To apply for this position:
Submit resume by May 3rd 2013 by 12:00pm to Executive Director, Joyce Kalsen via at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate “Nurse Practitioner” in subject line. Anticipated start date: Aug. 13th, 2013.