No deadline noted
Internal / External Posting
Posting Date: June 7, 2013
Closing Date: Until Filled
Kingston Community Health Centres is presently recruiting casual Nurse Practitioners to work at our North Kingston Community Health Centre clinic. These opportunities are open to internal and external applicants. Internal applicants will be considered first.
Position Title: Nurse Practitioner
Location: North Kingston Community Health Centre
Position Type: Casual, Ongoing
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Competitive Compensation Package Available
The Nurse Practitioner is a member of the primary health care team is responsible for providing primary health care while emphasizing holistic care, health promotion and disease prevention. S/he diagnoses and manages common disorders and diseases seen in primary health care in collaboration with the client and the physician. The Nurse Practitioner works as part of the multi-disciplinary team to address issues in the community, which affect health. S/he is responsible and accountable for her/his practice.
- Provides primary care to clients, which takes into account environmental, social, psychological and medical risk factors (Social Determinants of Health) in a manner that can be understood by clients and is appropriate to their family situation.
- Works within the scope of practice set out by the College of Nurses for Registered Nurse in the Extended Class (Nurse Practitioner).
- Works with and refers to other members of the care team (physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, community health nurse, social workers, health promotion staff, occupational therapist, nutritionist, community workers and others) to ensure clients receive comprehensive, competent and appropriate health care.
- Assesses clients for routine health and illness care and to prescribe treatment.
- Promotes chronic disease self-management principles when appropriate.
- Coordinates and conducts Outreach visits to local shelters and housing projects to provide health support to homeless and hard to house clients.
- Consults and/or refers for further assessment or treatment for the client when appropriate and/or beyond the nurse practitioner scope of practice.
- Prescribes medications and orders diagnostic testing in accordance with the scope of practice for Registered Nurse in the Extended Class.
- Remains accessible to clients during the hours of service scheduled by the Health Centre, at both on and off-site locations and to provide home visits as required.
- Acts as a health advocate for clients.
- Utilizes health care resources in a manner which makes most effective use of resources to benefit clients.
Health Promotion and Education
- Participates in the development, facilitation and evaluation of mental and physical health promotion programs .
- Counsels and educates individuals on health related and lifestyle issues and to evaluate the effectiveness of education and counseling approaches and strategies.
- Identifies areas where development of protocols and procedures are needed to improve client services or to promote more effective staff functioning.
- Maintains accurate records of clients' visits and encounters, including phone encounters, using the charting and recording formats established by Kingston Community Health Centres;
- Responsible for lab work, and laboratory and exam room maintenance for own clients
- Assists other nursing staff in administrative and clinical duties if required.
- Promotes and demonstrates through example the mission, values, and culture of KCHC, including respecting and valuing diversity, fostering a positive workplace culture and environment, maintaining confidentiality, and incorporating and strengthening collaborative and interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous improvement by encouraging creativity, innovation, and excellence. Identifies opportunities for efficiencies, integration and partnerships within KCHC and the community.
- Contributes to KCHC’s information management and research activities.
- Supports active learning, including training and development for staff, support of KCHC student and volunteer placements, and maintaining personal competence through professional development and training as required by KCHC.
- Remains knowledgeable of the various legislation Acts, Regulations, Policies, Procedures and safe practices, etc. pertaining to the protection and safety of workers, clients and the public as they related to the Kingston Community Health Centers’ workplace.
- Works during both regular and extended hours of operation in locations identified by the Centre.
On occasion, other temporary duties may be required.
- Active Registration as Registered Nurse in the Extended Class, Ontario College of Nurses.(Nurse Practitioners currently in the process of attaining full licensure may apply)
- Three to five years nursing experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital or public health settings an asset; experience in a primary care setting an asset
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Knowledge of management of clients with addictions and mental health diagnosis
- Experience supporting marginalized clients with addictions, mental health, and complex psycho-social issues preferred.
- Awareness of, and ability to support, provincial and federal privacy regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
- Excellent organizational skills and above average attention to detail.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to engage marginalized clients, and a commitment to being a “team player”.
- As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
- To maintain client, personnel and organization confidentiality and acting in an ethical and professional manner in accordance with the privacy legislation and the policies of Kingston Community Health Centres.
- As a member of the staff, to use tact and good judgment in all communications and dealings with other staff members and the public, keeping confidential and private any information gained in dealing with them.
All staff permanent, probationary, casual or term employees who have gone through a full hiring process and are currently on the payroll of KCHC for 3 consecutive months are eligible to apply. (Please see the Personnel Policy Manual for full details Policy D)
Employees within their first 3 months of probation as well as active volunteers, with a minimum 100 hrs of service within the last 6 months, are also eligible and will be considered if Group A applicants have not been deemed suitable. Please note that volunteers who apply must clearly indicate in the covering letter the number of volunteer hours they have completed at KCHC.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. First round of interviews to take place late June 2013.
Please send applications to:
Director, Corporate Services
Kingston Community Health Centres
400 Elliott Avenue
Kingston, Ontario K7K 6M9
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees.