Deadline July 2, 2013
Location: Health Protection Services – Sexual Health and Needle Exchange Program
Position: Nurse Practitioner
Salary Range: $45.04 – $55.41 per hour (ONA)
Note: Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
This position is being offered on a permanent full-time basis, working 35 hours per week.
Current Certificate of Competence for a Nurse Practitioner with the College of Nurses of Ontario, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a recognized University and current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required. A minimum of Three years of recent experience public/community health with a minimum of two years in a clinical setting related to public health nursing in a sexual health clinic setting. Comfort and experience dealing with sexual orientation issues and injection drug use/harm reduction issues is required. Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external groups to accomplish client’s specific and organizational goals and objectives is required. Excellent writing and communication skills, skill in critical appraisal of research studies, and knowledge of health promotion are essential. Must be proficient with computers and a variety of software. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel will be required between locations within Halton Region. Incumbent must supply own transportation and have a valid Ontario driver’s license.
- Using standards of promoting health, building individual/community capacity, building relationships, facilitating access and equity, and professional responsibility and accountability, the nurse practitioner duties will include the following:
- Works in a specialized program to provide counseling and consultation to individuals, families and groups on sexuality, birth control, relationships and the testing, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases including HIV/AIDS, sexual orientation and needle exchange/harm reduction related issues.
- Diagnose and manages care of clients based on history and physical examinations as per the Ontario Nurse Practitioner Standards of Practice.
- Initiates and performs controlled acts within the nursing scope of practice.
- Provides Public Health Nursing and primary health care services for individuals, families, groups and the community.
- Provides clinical leadership to program Team.
- Participates in health promotion/community development initiatives.
- Conducts Point of Care HIV testing.
- Works in the Health Department, Sexual Health Clinic providing primary health care, including health/clinical assessments and physical examinations.
- Provides in-service education to staff, agencies, schools and other community groups.
- Provides Needle Exchange outreach, services 2 – 4 shifts per month.
- Investigates and maintains surveillance of reports of infectious disease (STIs), including ongoing case management and contact tracing.
- Functions as a team member and is expected to keep accurate health records and statistical information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: June 21, 2013
Posting Expiry: July 2, 2013
Posting #: H-122-13
Note: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.