Deadline July 10, 2013
Job ID 13-0065
Organizational Overview: Public Health Ontario (PHO/Agency) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
To provide leadership for the planning, development and management of knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation activities in the area of infection prevention and control (IPAC). To ensure that IPAC knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation activities meet the prioritized needs of public health partners for evidence-based advice in the areas of infection prevention and control.
To liaise with staff and scientists within and outside PHO to ensure scientific rigour and applicability to knowledge synthesis and evaluation products; building close horizontal working relationships with colleagues in various portfolios across PHO.
- Manages and provides operational oversight of the implementation of knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation activities under the guidance of the Operations and Medical Directors, IPAC and in collaboration with the IPAC management team.
- Provides strategic leadership and operational oversight to the work of research coordinators, evaluators, knowledge exchange specialists, IPAC resource experts, epidemiologists and administrative assistants for the knowledge synthesis and evaluation activities being undertaken within IPAC.
- In conjunction with the Manager, Planning and Operations, monitors project expenditures, maintains accounts, and liaises with Finance to prepare fiscal year operating budgets.
- Ensures the scientific rigor and practice relevance of IPAC knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation activities; in the collection and analysis of data, and the review, appraisal and analysis of existing data, research studies and reports.
- Conceptualizes,plans and manages the development and implementation of a healthcare associated infection (HAI) surveillance program.
- In conjunction with the Manager, Planning and Operations, manages the coordination and negotiation of legal agreements including data sharing agreements, collaboration agreements, and other contracts as required to operationalize IPAC knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation projects.
- Provides oversight for written material developed from IPAC knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation activities, including syntheses of evidence, summaries, evaluation reports, manuscripts, commentaries, etc., and supervises the production of materials suitable for inclusion in policy briefs, technical reports, background documents, FAQs and correspondence.
- Supervises staff providing knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation support for the work of committees and project-specific working groups as needed; facilitates project management support as requested.
- Provides oversight for management of IPAC knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation services documents and processes on SharePoint to ensure systems are set up to archive and access relevant materials.
- Coordinates and prepares all necessary reports relative to IPAC knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation activities including; quarterly monitoring of the operational plan, mid-year review of the ABP and input into the balanced scorecard.
- Acts as a designated lead and/or subject matter expert on cross-functional teams responsible for coordinated and scientific response and management of an emergency, incident, outbreak or issue and proactively ensures linkages and collaboration across PHO.
- Manages staff congruent with PHO internal policies and procedures, professional standards, Collective Agreement requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations, including: providing direction and leadership in the implementation of new techniques and standards, assigning staff and implementing work/vacation schedules, setting clear responsibilities and objectives, evaluating performance.
- Supports PHO in the provision of response in an emergency, pursuant to responsibilities delegated in an emergency response plan.
- Acts as a designated lead and/or subject matter expert on cross functional PHO teams and proactive operational planning to ensure linkages and collaboration across PHO in the areas of knowledge synthesis and evaluation.
- Works closely with the IPAC management team and the Operations and Medical Directors, IPAC on departmental-wide initiatives, including senior leadership team meetings.
- Supports PHO’s 24/7 incident and emergency response through shared participation in on-call schedule as required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and related software applications (SPSS, SAS, NVivo), in order to apply such methodologies to the collection and analysis of new data, and the review and analysis of existing data, research studies and evaluation reports.
- Skill and expertise in research and evaluation protocol development and tool design to conduct data collection, analysis and interpretation and to identify issues requiring further investigation.
- Skill and expertise in conducting literature reviews, syntheses of various types, and critical appraisals.
- Effective project management, research, analytical skills to lead the implementation of IPAC knowledge synthesis, research and evaluation projects, monitor expenditures, and prepare operating budgets.
- Planning, organizing, project management skills and initiative in order to work efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities with meticulous attention to detail.
- Skilled in managing multiple projects and delivering measurable results.
- Office computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project 2003); familiarity with SharePoint to manage documents and processes on SharePoint, and ensure that systems are set up to archive and access relevant materials.
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree in public health, social sciences, epidemiology or related discipline.
- Minimum of five years of progressive management experience in a specialized/complex environment, ideally within a public health, academic or research environment.
- Minimum 10 years of experience supporting research or evaluation at an academic department, research institute or organization related to public health; preferably in an area focused on infection prevention and control.
Full Time Regular
Posting date: 6/25/2013
Closing date: 7/10/2013
Province: Ontario [ON]
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.