Deadline July 14, 2013
Green Communities Canada has been coordinating a growing and well-regarded School Travel Planning program in Ottawa, Ontario since late 2009. We are seeking a motivated, dynamic individual to help build on this success.
Position: School Travel Planning Facilitator - Ottawa
Terms: Temporary contract, 4 days/week (average), August 2013-July 2014
Reporting to the program Coordinator, you will be responsible for implementing and supporting STP at 12 elementary schools across Ottawa during the 2013-14 school year. Key deliverables include:
- establishing, coordinating and supporting new and existing school-level committees comprised of parents, teachers, principals and community representatives;
- coordinating the collection of relevant information and identification of barriers to active travel through surveys, site visits and traffic observation sessions;
- entering survey data into STP collection tools and preparing related reports;
- guiding and motivating committees in the drafting, implementing, monitoring and updating of school travel plans;
- liaising with school board, school transportation, municipal, police and other community stakeholder representatives;
- assisting the Coordinator with preparation of reports to stakeholders and funders as well as planning and executing workshops and other special activities.
- Demonstrated experience or familiarity working with elementary schools and/or school councils including principals, teachers and parents.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in active travel (walking, cycling) or related TDM, environmental or health & safety issues.
- Post-secondary education (undergraduate university minimum)
- Strong verbal and written communications skills (English).
- Excellent interpersonal as well as meeting and time-management skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings, weekends) when necessary.
- Personal computer with standard office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.)
- Driver's licence and access to a vehicle on occasion.
- Mapping/GIS skills would be considered an asset.
Please send a résumé with cover letter by email to:
Coordinator - Ottawa School Travel Planning Program, Green Communities Canada
Deadline to apply is 11:59 pm, Sunday July 14, 2013
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.