Deadline July 29, 2013
Part Time Position (22.5 Hours per week) – French Language required (if not at full language competency must be willing to attain)
The London InterCommunity Health Centre was established in 1989 to support individuals and families whose poverty, isolation, age, lack of housing or immigration status prevented access to both health and social services. Today, we continue to provide inclusive and equitable health and social services to those who experience barriers to care, and we support and encourage individuals to participate in the community.
We are currently looking for an individual who is interested in working with seniors who face the challenges of chronic conditions that impact their health and ability to live in their own homes. The position will complement the work of our Seniors’ WrapAround Facilitators who develop individual stay-at-home plans with seniors and caregivers. The Health Promoter will work with our Seniors’ WrapAround Facilitators to:
- Identify needs that profoundly isolated and vulnerable seniors may have that affect their ability live at home safely, independently and in good health;
- Develop appropriate health promotion curricula that can be delivered to seniors and their caregivers in small and large group settings.
- Help seniors and their caregivers navigate the western medical system to access appropriate care
- Work with seniors and caregivers to problem solve and come up with self management goals
- Follow up and monitor seniors’ self-management activity to ensure that identified goals are being achieved.
- Help caregivers to develop and establish their own goals to maintain good health and life balance to avoid caregiver burnout.
- Post secondary education in health or social services
- Knowledge of Health Determinants, Health Promotion and Adult Education principles
- Experience working with marginalized individuals and persons living with chronic conditions
- Understanding of issues related to access to health services faced by seniors dealing with poverty and profound isolation
- A strong understanding of the difficulties faced by immigrant and francophone seniors when accessing services due to limited English language skills
- Proficiency in English
- The ability to develop effective relationships with seniors and support them in identifying and accessing needed services
- The ability to work with caregivers in a supportive and respectful manner
- Experience developing and implementing outreach strategies to a culturally diverse community of seniors
Please forward your resume by email to Dharshi Lacey at email@example.com by Monday, July 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm.
We are committed to hiring internationally educated professionals who are looking for the opportunity to access the Canadian Labour Market