Deadline July 26, 2013
Job ID: 13-0074
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a centre for specialized research and knowledge in public health, focusing in the areas of infectious disease, infection control and prevention, health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention, and environmental health. It provides technical and scientific assistance, rapid on-site field support, as needed, specialized communication and training, as well as standards input and practical tools for implementing best practices.
PHO was created by the Ontario Government as a result of its commitment to Operation Health Protection through the Health System Improvements Act (Bill 171). PHO brings academic, clinical, and government experts together to create a centre of public health excellence in the province.
For more information, please go to our website http://www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Senior Research Coordinator
Department: Infection Prevention and Control
Duration: Full Time Regular
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: 17PGS General Scientific
Salary: $63,495 - $76,998
Hours of Work: 36.25 per week
Posting Date: July 12, 2013
Closing Date: July 26, 2013
Act as an experienced Research team member, to lead the implementation of complex (multi-site, multi-disciplinary) research projects under the work direction of the Principal Investigator. To lead the development and/or adaptation of protocols by applying sound methodological principles to inform new funding applications or current project implementation. To take a leading role in interpretation of study results, manuscript and report writing and other knowledge exchange activities.
- Applies quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to the collection and analysis of data and the review and analysis of existing data, research studies and reports.
- Leads the implementation of complex (multi-site, multi-disciplinary) research projects under the work direction of the Principal applicant. Monitors project expenditures, maintains accounts, and liaises with Finance to prepare fiscal year operating budgets.
- Leads the development of grant applications including study rationale, literature review, study design, methodology, analysis and knowledge exchange sections with guidance from scientists and research team.
- Acts as the lead author for peer-reviewed manuscripts, technical reports and other knowledge exchange products with guidance from scientists and research team.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with project advisory committees, research teams and knowledge users.
- Coordinates and negotiates the terms of legal agreements including funding contracts with sponsors, collaboration agreements with key partners and other contracts as required to operationalize research projects.
- Provides group leadership and work supervision to research assistants and research coordinators as it relates to the research work being conducted.
- Undertakes literature reviews and provides syntheses and critical appraisal of existing evidence and develops summaries to assist PHO staff and external partners with priority setting and external requests related to knowledge development and exchange.
- Develops written material including commentaries, reports, summaries and syntheses of evidence arising from research, and creates background materials suitable for inclusion in policy briefs, technical reports, background documents, FAQs and correspondence.
- Supports the work of expert advisory panels and other project-specific committees as needed through the development of literature reviews and syntheses to guide the development of evidence-based recommendations; provides project management support as requested.
- Manages documents and processes on SharePoint to ensure systems are set up to orderly archive and access relevant materials.
- Ensures timelines are met, resolving any issues that may delay the project.
- Coordinates and prepares all necessary regulatory reports.
- Creates and delivers professional presentations on research results.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodology and related software applications (SPSS, SAS, NVivo), in order to apply quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to the collection and analysis of data and the review and analysis of existing data, research studies and reports.
- Knowledge of, and expertise in, coordinating large multi-site and multi-disciplinary research proposals submissions to funding bodies such as CIHR, CFI, NIHR and/or PHAC.
- Knowledge of, and expertise in, managing multiple concurrent projects and /or supervising several support staff.
- Understanding of business and operational planning processes, in order to contribute to PHO's corporate business and operational planning processes.
- Skill and expertise in coordinating of data collection and data management, with an ability to quantify the implications.
- Skill and expertise in protocol development and tool design to conduct data collection, analysis and interpretation and to identify issues requiring further investigation.
- Skill and expertise in conducting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and research in area of own specialty.
- Skill and expertise in conducting literature reviews, syntheses, and critical appraisals.
- Effective project management, research, analytical skills in order to lead the implementation of research projects, monitors project expenditures, and prepare operating budgets.
- Skill and the ability to work in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams.
- Planning, organizing, project management skills and initiative in order to work efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities with meticulous attention to detail.
- Group leadership and work supervision skills are required to direct the activities of research assistants and/or research coordinators, to develop and implement operational processes, manage a budget, and ensure effective use of resources.
- Skill and ability to approach and manage assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills in order to interact well with stakeholders, maintain effective linkages will all levels of contact
- Developed analytical ability with expert statistical, mathematical and critical analysis skills to evaluate programs, interventions, models, research, reports, data, and to perform analyses, assess and synthesize results and provide authoritative advice based on findings
- Office computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project); familiarity with SharePoint to manage documents and processes on SharePoint, and ensure that systems are set up to orderly archive and access relevant materials.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences or related discipline.
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience supporting research at an academic department, research institute or organization related to infection prevention and control.
- Three to five years of experience in research coordination and project management for a large health and/or public health organization in order to lead the implementation of complex (multi-site, multidisciplinary) research projects under the work direction of the Principal applicant.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.