Deadline September 4, 2013
16 month contract
Job ID 13-0076
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about Public Health Ontario, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Senior Research Coordinator (revised)
Department: Public Health Sciences
Duration: 16 months fixed term contract
Position Status: Open
Job Code: 17PGS - General Scientific
Salary: $63,495 - $76,998 annual
Hours of Work: 36.25 per week
Posting Date: July 15, 2013
Closing Date: September 4, 2013
Reporting to the Scientist, Public Health Sciences provides support for a CIHR funded project focusing on developing a knowledge translation strategy and evaluating how decision-makers in varied health related settings use a validated population-based risk tool for diabetes prevention.
This term position may be filled as a secondment or a direct employment opportunity.
- Applies quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to the collection and analysis of data and the review and analysis of existing data, research studies and reports.
- Leads the implementation of complex (multi-site, multi-disciplinary) research projects under the work direction of the Principal applicant. Monitors project expenditures, maintains accounts, and liaises with Finance to prepare fiscal year operating budgets.
- Leads the development of grant applications including study rationale, literature review, study design, methodology, analysis and knowledge exchange sections with guidance from scientists and research team.
- Acts as a co-author for peer-reviewed manuscripts, technical reports and other knowledge exchange products with guidance from scientists and research team.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with project advisory committees, research teams and knowledge users.
- Coordinates and negotiates the terms of legal agreements including funding contracts with sponsors, collaboration agreements with key partners and other contracts as required to operationalize research projects.
- Provides group leadership and work supervision to research assistants and research coordinators as it relates to the research work being conducted.
- Undertakes literature reviews and provides syntheses and critical appraisal of existing evidence and develops summaries to assist PHO staff and external partners with priority setting and external requests related to knowledge development and exchange.
- Develops written material including commentaries, reports, summaries and syntheses of evidence arising from research, and creates background materials suitable for inclusion in policy briefs, technical reports, background documents, FAQs and correspondence.
- Supports the work of expert advisory panels and other project-specific committees as needed through the development of literature reviews and syntheses to guide the development of evidence-based recommendations; provides project management support as requested.
- Manages documents and processes on SharePoint to ensure systems are set up to orderly archive and access relevant materials.
- Ensures timelines are met, resolving any issues that may delay the project.
- Coordinates and prepares all necessary regulatory reports.
- Creates and delivers professional presentations on research results.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodology and related software applications (e.g. Stata, SAS, NVivo), in order to apply quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to the collection and analysis of data and the review and analysis of existing data, research studies and reports.
- Knowledge of, and expertise in, coordinating large multi-site and multi-disciplinary research proposals submissions to funding bodies such as CIHR, CFI, NIHR and/or PHAC.
- Knowledge of, and expertise in, managing multiple concurrent projects and /or supervising several support staff.
- Understanding of business and operational planning processes, in order to contribute to Agency corporate business and operational planning processes.
- Skill and expertise in coordinating of data collection and data management, with an ability to quantify the implications.
- Skill and expertise in protocol development and tool design to conduct data collection, analysis and interpretation and to identify issues requiring further investigation.
- Skill and expertise in conducting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and research in area of own specialty.
- Skill and expertise in conducting literature reviews, syntheses, and critical appraisals.
- Skill and expertise in preparing and submitting manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication.
- Effective project management, research, analytical skills in order to lead the implementation of research projects, monitors project expenditures, and prepare operating budgets.
- Skill and the ability to work in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams.
- Planning, organizing, project management skills and initiative in order to work efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities with meticulous attention to detail.
- Group leadership and work supervision skills are required to direct the activities of research assistants and/or research coordinators, to develop and implement operational processes, manage a budget, and ensure effective use of resources.
- Skill and ability to approach and manage assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills in order to interact well with stakeholders, maintain effective linkages will all levels of contact.
- Developed analytical ability with expert statistical, mathematical and critical analysis skills to evaluate programs, interventions, models, research, reports, data, and to perform analyses, assess and synthesize results and provide authoritative advice based on findings.
- Office computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project); familiarity with SharePoint to manage documents and processes on SharePoint, and ensure that systems are set up to orderly archive and access relevant materials.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences or related discipline.
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience supporting research at an academic department, research institute or organization related to public health and/or chronic disease prevention.
- Three to five years of experience in research coordination and project management for a large health and/or public health organization in order to lead the implementation of complex (multi-site, multi-disciplinary) research projects under the work direction of the Principal applicant.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit: http://www.oahpp.ca/careers/index.html and click on the job title.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.