Kingston and Napanee, Ontario
No deadline noted
Posting Date: August 23, 2013
Posting Close: Until Filled
Position Title: Casual Registered Practical Nurse
Location: Shared position across KCHC Clinics, Kingston and Napanee
Position Type: Casual, On-going
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: $21.25 - $25.60 per hour
The Registered Practical Nurse provides nursing care and support to the clients of the Centre. Working in an interdisciplinary team, the RPN provides primary triage services to clients both on-site and over the telephone. They will provide laboratory and phlebotomy services as well as assist with other nursing functions and related support to aid in the overall function of the primary health care team.
- Provide primary health care to clients of the centre as guided by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Provide nursing care and administrative support to assist in the effectiveness and efficiency of clinic flow.
- Provide telephone triage and client follow-up as needed.
- Provide basic laboratory and phlebotomy procedures and treatment services (e.g., urine tests, glucometer readings, dressings, injections, immunizations, allergy treatments, etc.).
- Provide client screening and health education within scope of practice.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining medical supplies, laboratory supplies and immunizations.
- Contribute to chart documentation (including Electronic Health Records), participate in chart reviews and case conferences, and make referrals.
- Participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of treatment, education, counseling and health promotion programs and services for individuals, families and the community.
- Maintain clinical areas, resources, materials and equipment
- Promotes and demonstrates through example the mission, values, and culture of KCHC, including respecting and valuing diversity, incorporating a health promotion/determinants of health approach, fostering a positive workplace culture and environment, maintaining confidentiality, and incorporating and strengthening collaborative and interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous improvement by encouraging creativity, innovation, and excellence. Identifies opportunities for efficiencies, integration and partnerships within KCHC and the community.
- Contributes to KCHC’s information management and research activities.
- Supports active learning, including training and development for staff, support of KCHC student and volunteer placements, and maintaining personal competence through professional development and training as required by KCHC.
- Works during both regular and extended hours of operation in locations identified by the Centre.
- On occasion, other temporary duties may be required.
- Registered Practical Nurse diploma from a recognized institution
- Registration in the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Three plus years nursing experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital/public health settings; experience in primary care settings an asset;
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, an asset
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications, experience with Purkinje an asset
- Experience and understanding of marginalized communities and health needs
- Training in Foot Care, an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Awareness of, and ability to support, provincial and federal privacy regulations
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
- Excellent organizational skills and above average attention to detail.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a commitment to being a “team player”.
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
To maintain client, personnel and organization confidentiality and acting in an ethical and professional manner in accordance with the privacy legislation and the policies of Kingston Community Health Centres.
As a member of the staff, to use tact and good judgment in all communications and dealings with other staff members and the public, keeping confidential and private any information gained in dealing with them.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. First round of interviews to take place early September 2013.
Applications must be received by the Director, Corporate Services.
Please send applications to:
Director, Corporate Services
Kingston Community Health Centres
400 Elliott Avenue
Kingston, Ontario K7K 6M9
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees.