Deadline October 11, 2013
In May 2009, the Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport launched the Healthy Communities Framework, an integrated approach to improving the health of Ontarians. There are three components to the initiative: the Grants Stream; the Resource Stream, and the Partnership Stream.
In Halton, The Halton Region Health Department has taken on the role of steward for the Partnership Stream. The focus of the Partnership Stream is to work with community leaders to build healthy public policy.
The purpose of this project is to identify policy opportunities at the upper and/or lower tier jurisdictions that would be supportive of public health interests in the areas of nutrition and physical activity. Specifically policy opportunities that promote supportive environments for healthy eating and purposeful physical activity
The Halton Region Health Department has funding available until December 31, 2013 to complete this work.
1.2 Position Summary
The successful candidate will work with staff and management at the Regional Municipality of Halton from the departments of Health, and Planning and Legislative Services to complete the activities described below.
Scope and Objectives
2.1 Scope of Project
- Public Health interests in the area of supportive environments for healthy eating and purposeful physical activity
- Review of existing upper and lower tier land-use policies, guidelines, master plans and bylaws relevant to identified public health interests.
- Review of examples from other jurisdictions
- Identification of land-use policy opportunities relevant to the Halton context.
- Review Health Department’s evidence on land-use planning policy goals to promote Public Health interests in the areas of: supportive environments for healthy eating and purposeful physical activity to ensure it is complete, comprehensive.
- Scan relevant planning policies of the five municipalities and identify opportunities for impact according to level of government (upper or lower tier jurisdiction). Relevant examples from other jurisdictions are to be included.
- For opportunities relevant to Halton Region’s jurisdiction, develop recommendations by identifying gaps, opportunities, suggested policy options, strategies for achievement, examples from other jurisdictions and reference to relevant federal and provincial regulation
2.3 Roles and Responsibilities
The Consultant will be responsible for collaborating with staff and management at the Regional Municipality of Halton from the departments of Health, and Planning and Legislative Services in order to collate and synthesize information to create two reports:
- A background report summarizing the evidence and policy recommendations to promote supportive environments for healthy eating and purposeful physical activity. Policy recommendations will include relevant examples by other jurisdictions and will be classified by level of government (upper or lower tier jurisdiction).
A final report with detailed recommendations about regional and local policy opportunities within Halton. Detailed recommendations will include:
- Identification of relevant policy or regulation
- Barriers & opportunities
- Suggested policy options
- Recommended strategies and actions to accomplish the policy options
- Reference to supporting federal and provincial regulations
- Examples from other relevant municipalities.
To receive a copy of the complete Background Document of Activities, Deliverables, Timelines and Budget, please contact
Manager, Chronic Disease Prevention
Halton Region Health Dept
1151 Bronte Road
Oakville ON L6M 3L1
Phone: 905-825-6000 ext 7838