Deadline November 4, 2013
Full Time to March 31, 2016
The Health Promoter – Diabetes Prevention Program will be the lead at the Porcupine Health Unit for this initiative aimed at planning, implementing and evaluating health promotion programs and policies that reduce the risk of diabetes, particularly in the Aboriginal population. Specific strategies include behavior modification, training, screening and communication.
Responsibilities will include:
- Establish linkages and liaison with internal and external stakeholders;
- Develop, implement and evaluate behavior modification, training, screening and communication programs;
- Raise awareness of relevant diabetes risk factors;
- Increase physical activity and consumption of healthy foods and healthy weight to reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes;
- Refer to appropriate services;
- Train health professionals and lay health educators;
- Prepare internal and external reports as required for the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Undergraduate degree in health sciences, health promotion or related discipline. Post graduate degree preferred;
- Registration in a regulatory College of Ontario preferred.
- Experience working with Aboriginal people, northern communities and agencies that focus on diabetes prevention and serve the Aboriginal people;
- Knowledge of diabetes prevention strategies;
- Understanding and awareness of traditional teaching and Aboriginal culture;
- Experience in program and resource development and evaluation in a community setting;
- Knowledge and/or experience in communication, project management and training;
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and facilitation skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to communicate in the both office languages and Cree will be considered an asset;
- Willingness to work flexible hours and travel to meet program needs;
- Must have access to a vehicle and a valid Ontario Driver’s license.
Visit our website at http://www.porcupinehu.on.ca for more information about the Porcupine Health Unit.
Please forward your resume by November 4, 2013 to:
Porcupine Health Unit, Postal Bag 2012, 169 Pine St. S.
Timmins, ON P4N 8B7
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.