Deadline February 14, 2014
Job ID 14-0032
Public Health Ontario ("PHO") is Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world. PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to
improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about Public Health Ontario, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Health Promotion Consultant
Department: Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Duration: Full Time Regular
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto.
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: 18PGS General Scientific (under review)
Salary: $68,182 - $84,294 (under review)
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: January 30, 2014
Closing Date: February 14, 2014
Reporting to the Manager, Health Promotion Capacity Building (HPCB), the Health Promotion Consultant will design and deliver province-wide and Ontario regional workshops, e-learning events and tailored consultations related to core public health competencies in evaluation for health promotion and chronic disease prevention programs, policies and media. Update and maintain relevant core public health competency resource materials (i.e. workbooks, workshop and e-learning event slides, resource lists, and info packs) and support the development of new resource materials, as needed.
- Developing and delivering in-person and virtual training events aimed at building core public health competency and capacity of health promotion practitioners at Ontario’s public health units.
- Providing advice and support related to health promotion planning and evaluation in response to requests from the field. This may include advice and support related to the development/evaluation of health promotion policies and/or development/evaluation of health communication initiatives.
- Supporting Ontario health units with the implementation of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care’s Ontario Public Health Standards and the Foundational Standard.
- Creating and maintaining training materials and resources on the planning and evaluation of health promotion/chronic disease prevention. This may include the identification and synthesis of new and emerging evidence on best practices to guide the creation of resources and training modules/curricula.
- Providing HPCDIP with strategic advice on health promotion capacity building.
- Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships within PHO and its health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention networks and partners.
- Representing PHO and promoting its mandate and strategic initiatives through presentations, attendance at conferences and other activities.
- Performing other duties, as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience with the design and delivery of training events for a public health audience.
- Knowledge of health promotion, program planning/evaluation theory and practice, to update and maintain relevant and new PHO training materials and resources.
- Ability to facilitate collective problem solving related to program planning and policy development evaluation challenges.
- Ability to conceptualize and develop training and capacity building products in response to the identified learning needs of public health practitioners.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills, to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships within PHO and its health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention networks and partners; represent PHO and promote its mandate and strategic initiatives through presentations, attendance at conferences and other activities.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent strategic analytical and problem solving skills, to identify and synthesize new and emerging evidence on best practices guiding the creation of resources and training modules/curricula; provide technical assistance and strategic advice on health promotion capacity building.
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs and data management skills (i.e. MS Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project 2003) and familiarity with SharePoint.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences, planning, public policy, adult education or related discipline (or appropriate combination of undergraduate degree and relevant experience).
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in supporting the planning and evaluation capacity building needs of Ontario public health practitioners through training and technical assistance.
- Holds a Canadian Evaluation Society Credentialed Evaluator (CE) designation or currently within the designation application process for CE by the Canadian Evaluation Society.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.