Deadline March 4, 2014
Start Date: March, 2014
Duration: 8 weeks
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is recruiting an Innovator between the ages of 18 and 35 with public health skills, experiences and backgrounds for an eight-week focused youth development project in Zanzibar, Tanzania starting in March, 2014. While in Tanzania, you will work with the Zanzibar Youth Forum (ZYF), to further the reach and relevance of their health programs.
In 2013, two YCI Innovators worked together with ZYF to create a Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) and HIV/AIDS manual to be used by ZYF Peer Educators in Zanzibar. The manual has been created, but needs to be pilot tested and ZYF peer educators still need to be trained.
Key Project Activities:
- Pilot test ZYF’s new SRH Manual with peer educators
- Revise and finalize the SRH Manual based on the recommendation from users (peer educators) and key stakeholders
- Create posters and pamphlets as take-home references to compliment information in the manual
- Facilitate training of trainer sessions based on the revised SRH manual with ZYF peer educators
Recommended Skills and Experience:
- Background in public health, health sciences or other relevant discipline
- 1-3 years relevant work experience
- Training in public health; experience leading health discussions; good knowledge of HIV/AIDS and other STIs
- Strong working knowledge of issues related to gender and youth
- Experience working with peer educators or mentors
- Proven effectiveness in cross-cultural settings
- Prior overseas experience an asset
Fundraising Goal: YCI volunteers are required to fundraise and/or contribute a minimum of $600 for these projects to contribute towards YCI’s global youth development programs.
- Preparatory support and pre-project distance learning
- In-country orientation
- Modest homestay accommodation and food
- In-country work-related travel
- Comprehensive emergency travel medical insurance
This placement is part of YCI's flight scholarship program.
What’s Not Covered:
- Personal expenses
- Visa fees
- Participants will be expected to obtain the required vaccinations and take anti-malarials at their own expense
Please apply online using YCI’s volunteer application form at http://www.yci.org/html/volunteer/globally/applynow.asp
When submitting your application online, please also send a copy of your resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the section “Please share with us your reason for selecting these particular countries, project lengths, range of months and sector focus,” specify that you are applying for the “Tanzania Public Health Innovator Position– 2014". Please highlight your skills and experience that make you a suitable candidate for this volunteer opportunity.
Application deadline: March 4, 2014