Deadline March 19, 2014
Contract Part Time (16 hours a week-4 Months)
Unison Health and Community Services is formed by the voluntary merger of New Heights Community Health Centres and York Community Services. Unison’s mission is: working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
Pathways to Education is community-based program that addresses two crucial social determinants of health by providing programs and services to enhance the educational and employment success of youth in the Lawrence Heights community. The program not only works with young people to help them achieve their full potential by getting to school, staying in school, graduating, and moving on to post-secondary programs, but hopes that they will reinvest in their community socially, economically, and professionally.
The Site Support Worker, Pathways to Education, provides support to the program by ensuring participants and volunteers have a safe and suitable learning environment. Responsibilities will be carried out in accordance with the vision, mission and values of Unison Health and Community Services.
- Be on site for tutoring activities, usually between 4:00 and 8:00 p.m.
- Set up your work station and have the site support phone functioning by 4:30 pm daily
- Meet with Program Facilitators to receive any specific information regarding students accessing the tutoring site daily
- Ensure all students sign in and out daily when accessing and exiting tutoring and accurately record student attendance daily into the data system
- Assist in the distribution of snacks to students and volunteers when needed
- Support security and caretaking routines specific to programming location
- Ensure admission is restricted to registered students, volunteers, parents and Pathways staff
- Collect and store all log sheets and resources securely
- Ensure that all student when leaving the program hand in their Effort Log, sign out and exit the building promptly through designated exit
- Ensure rooms are locked and check out with caretaking staff
- Keep Program Facilitators/Team Leader – Tutoring up to date on any student, volunteer, program and site issues.
- Ensure that there is an accurate and updated list of students who are suspended from Tutoring
- Always insure that the privacy and confidentiality of all student and volunteers are maintained.
- Position is accountable to the Team Leader –Tutoring, Pathways to Education.
- Understanding of group dynamics, youth social skill development, and mentoring relationships
- Understanding of adolescent development
- An understanding of the strengths and capacities of, as well as the barriers and challenges faced by youth, especially those enrolled in the Pathways to Education program, with a particular focus on factors affecting personal development of students from diverse cultural backgrounds in low-income communities
- Knowledge of community, social service and educational resources for youth
- Understanding of the Pathways to Education concept and program
- 1-2 years experience in a community-based setting
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 19, 2014 to:
Pathways to Education—Lawrence Heights
Tutoring Site Support Hiring Committee
c/o Unison Health and Community Services-Lawrence Heights Site
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We particularly encourage applicants who are reflective of the diversity of our communities. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.