Deadline March 25, 2014
Two year term contract
Job ID: 14-0061
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Evaluation Specialist
Department: Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Duration: Full-time temporary - two year term contract (24 months)
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto
Bargaining Unit: AMAPCEO
Classification: Group 5
Salary: $62,089 - $86, 924 per annum
Posting Date: March 11, 2014
Closing Date: March 25, 2014
Reporting to the Chief, Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention (HPCDIP), the Evaluation Specialist develops, maintains and supports evaluation plans for priority Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention projects. Supports knowledge generation and synthesis in prioritized areas within health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention, and provides advice and support to the evaluation of initiatives and interventions carried out by public health partners.
- Developing, in conjunction with the Director, Manager, and other department team members, an overall evaluation framework for the HPCDIP.
- Developing evaluation plans for priority HPCDIP projects and overseeing the implementation of these plans (with an emphasis on physical injuries).
- Developing conceptual models including program logic models, frameworks, consultation papers and other support materials to facilitate effective evaluation processes.
- Developing (or assisting in the development) of high quality evaluation tools and measures (for example: questionnaires, focus group protocols, process and outcome indicators).
- Supervising external consultants hired to evaluate HPCDIP initiatives as needed.
- Providing advice and support to evaluations of key initiatives carried out by HPCDIP partners including government ministries, local public health units, health promotion resource centres and health promotion intermediaries, networks and communities of practice (e.g., participation in advisory committees, evaluation framework development, etc.).
- Ensuring the development of high quality electronic approaches to evaluation data collection and analysis (e.g., quantitative and qualitative research methodologies, instrument development, etc.).
- Contributing to knowledge generation, synthesis and evaluation activities in prioritized areas within health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention, particularly related to physical activity.
- Supervising students and other trainees in knowledge generation, synthesis and evaluation activities in prioritized areas within health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention, particularly related to physical activity.
- Contributing as author, co-author or contributor to HPCDIP technical reports and peer-reviewed scholarly papers.
- Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships within PHO and their health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention networks and partners.
- Contributing to PHO-wide evaluation processes, including attendance on PHO planning and performance management committees; representing PHO and promoting its mandate and strategic initiatives through active participation on relevant committees, presentations, attendance at conferences and other activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams.
- Expertise in the application of quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods (including instrument development, data collection, analysis and report writing).
- Excellent consultation and problem solving skills to promote PHO mandate and strategic initiatives through participation on advisory committees and at conferences.
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with all partners.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and conceptual abilities to develop ideas from inception through to implementation.
- Skills in literature searches, reviews, critical appraisal and syntheses.
- Project management, research, and analytical skills to provide advice and support to evaluations of key initiatives carried out by HPCDIP partners.
- Experience supervising and mentoring students and trainees, and coordinating student placements on behalf of the HPCDIP team.
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs, including data management (MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SPSS, Project 2003) and familiarity with SharePoint.
Education and Experience
- Master's degree in public health, evaluation, social sciences or related discipline and/or combined relevant experience.
- Credentialed Evaluator status with the Canadian Evaluation Society (or ability to meet all eligibility requirements for Credentialed Evaluator status).
- Five to 10 years of progressive evaluation experience at a provincial agency and/or ministry related to PHO core content areas: health promotion and the primary prevention of chronic diseases and injuries (including direct experience with conducting formative, process and outcome evaluations).
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.