Deadline: March 28, 2014
Job ID 14-0065
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Research Coordinator, Daily Physical Activity (contract)
Department: Health Promotion Chronic Disease and Injury Promotion
Duration: Full-Time Temporary - eight month contract
Location: 480 University Avenue
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: Group 4
Salary: $53,990- $75,585 annual
Hours of Work: 36.25 per week
Posting Date: March 14, 2014
Closing Date: March 28, 2014
Reporting to the Manager, Knowledge Synthesis and Evaluation Services, and under the work direction of the Senior Scientist, the Research Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Daily Physical Activity (DPA) Research Team in all aspects of knowledge generation and synthesis including: coordinating the development of ethics applications, providing research project coordination, coordinating data collection, contributing to data analysis and interpretation, and contributing to reports and presentations on the study examining the status of Daily Physical Activity in Ontario.
- Coordinates Research Review Board and Research Ethics Board protocol submissions, and maintains other necessary regulatory documents.
- Applies quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data.
- Coordinates and conducts mixed methods data collection activities such as key informant interviews, observations, focus groups, and surveys as required.
- Manages study data consistent with organizational policies and procedures.
- Co-ordinates logistics and monitors the progress of research activities; ensures compliance with and completion of protocols; develops and maintains records of research activities including budgets, and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports, as required by investigators, administrators, funding agencies, research ethics boards and/or regulatory bodies.
- Assists with statistical analysis including descriptive and inferential analyses; summarizes results in tabular and graphical form for use in PowerPoint presentations, manuscripts, and other reporting formats.
- Develops draft written material including commentaries, reports, summaries and syntheses of evidence arising from research, and creates background materials suitable for inclusion in policy briefs, technical reports, background documents, FAQs and correspondence.
- Maintains collaborative working relationships within PHO and external collaborators.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Skill and expertise in conducting literature reviews, syntheses, and critical appraisals, sufficient to provide syntheses and critical appraisal of existing research-based evidence, and to develop summaries.
- Knowledge and experience with quantitative and qualitative research methodology and related software applications (SPSS, SAS, NVivo), sufficient to apply quantitative and qualitative research methodologies to the collection, analysis and interpretation of study data.
- Ability to assist in tracking research budgets.
- Skill and the ability to work in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams.
- Planning, organizing, project management skills and initiative in order to work effectively and efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities with meticulous attention to detail.
- Skill and ability to approach and manage assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills.
- Office computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, social science, epidemiology or related discipline, in order to serve as the primary administrative point of contact for internal research staff, and as the principle operational liaison for other research organizations, funding agencies and regulating bodies.
- Experience in quantitative analysis of survey data would be considered an asset.
- Three to five years of experience supporting research at an academic department, research institute or organization under the direction of a principal investigator, or equivalent.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.