Deadline August 5, 2014
Part- Time Permanent Position: 28 hours a week-0.8 FTE
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighborhoods in North West Toronto. Operating out of five locations, Unison offers core services that include primary health care, case management and counseling, health promotion, Early Years programs, legal services, harm reduction programs, housing assistance, adult protective services, Pathways to Education and Diabetes Education Centre. Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
Unison is committed to working from an inclusive, pro-choice, sex positive, harm reduction, anti-racist, anti-oppression and participatory framework.
At this time Unison is seeking a Nurse Practitioner (Registered Nurse Extended Class – RNEC) at our Keel-Rogers site. The RNEC diagnoses and manages common health problems and diseases as part of the multidisciplinary, primary health care team. Responsibilities will be carried out in accordance with the vision, mission and values of Unison Health and Community Services and the standards of practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Perform clinical duties within the scope of practice, including assessments, diagnosis, treatment, follow up, counseling, screening, education and referral. Duties may be performed at the centre through appointments and walk-ins and in the community through home visits and satellite clinics as required
- Work with the primary health care team and other health centre teams to identify and take action on community health issues
- Assist in the development and evaluation of protocols and procedures in order to provide optimal standardized care to clients
- Other duties as required
- Sound clinical judgment and strong health assessment and diagnostic skills
- Registration in the Extended Class with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work within a community-based context, with a culturally diverse community.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills, including computer literacy skills specific to job requirements.
- Knowledge of issues affecting communities facing barriers to access in an urban environment.
- 2-4 years’ experience in a community-based setting or nursing experience in Primary Care/NP
- Excellent triage and clinical skills
- Strong computer skills, experience with Nightingale on Demand (ECR) preferred
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to speak other languages is an asset.
- Willingness to teach /work with other professional disciplines and students.
The successful candidate must be prepared to work at least one evening/week.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday August 5, 2014 to:
Hiring Committee – RNEC
Unison Health and Community Services
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those whomight need accommodation.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.