Deadline August 22, 2014
Posting Date: August 8, 2014
Term: Part-time permanent (3 days per week)
Expiry Date: August 22, 2014
Posting Type: Internal and External
Start Date: Immediate
The Anne Johnston Health Station is a not-for-profit community health centre providing a wide range of programs and services that promote the health and well-being of three target populations: seniors, youth, and people with physical disabilities. Our programs and services include primary care, disease prevention, health promotion, counselling and education.
We are currently seeking a Health Promoter to work 3 days per week to coordinate health promotion programming and outreach for all three target populations, with an emphasis on working with people with physical disabilities. The Health Promoter implements and oversees health promotion programs that support health education and provide leadership development and capacity building opportunities. In addition, the Health Promoter will support outreach initiatives in the community as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate health promotion programming and community initiatives. Programs may include individual and/or group teaching, health education workshops, peer leadership groups, and community initiatives.
- Actively participates in the development and implementation of outreach strategies that engage people with physical disabilities
- Networks and works collaboratively with community groups to strengthen and expand health promotion programming for all three target populations.
- Liaise with community partners and maintain positive community relationships.
- Collaborate with health promotion team and other staff, as appropriate, to support overall administration and delivery of health promotion programming for all three target populations.
- Maintain volunteer statistics as directed
- Participate in the orientation and new training of staff, students and volunteers, as may be required.
- Participate in agency’s staff and team meetings, as required.
Skills And Qualifications
- Graduate degree from a recognized university in health promotion, social work, or a related discipline, or a combination of undergraduate degree and significant work experience.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years health promotion/education experience within a community based setting.
- Experience and commitment to working with youth, seniors, and people with physical disabilities from diverse communities from an anti-oppression perspective.
- Experience working in peer education and/or with volunteers, including outreach and recruitment.
- Excellent communication and group facilitation skills, experience and demonstrated knowledge of health promotion and education, program design, implementation and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience in community outreach and program promotion
- Experience networking and working collaboratively with local agencies, community groups and schools.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency and experience working in a computerized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with crisis and conflict, and to maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Ability to think in creative, innovative ways and see “outside the box.”
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Available to work at least two evenings per week.
Duration: Part-time permanent
This is a unionized position.
With “Health Promoter” in the subject heading, please send your resume and cover letter, by August 22, 2014 at 5:00 pm to:
by E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
by Regular Mail:
Hiring Committee, Health Promoter
The Anne Johnston Health Station
2398 Yonge Street
Toronto ON M4P 2H4
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.