Deadline August 27, 2014
Full Time-35 hours per week-1 FTE
Unison Health and Community Services is formed by the voluntary merger of New Heights Community Health Centres and York Community Services. Unison’s mission is: working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
Unison is seeking a Full-Time Housing Help Worker for both Keele/Rogers and Lawrence Height neighbourhoods.
- Provides time limited housing search case management, short-term brief case management and support to clients including intake, assessment, referral, education, budgeting, medication and/or negotiation with landlords or other tenants and follow up
- Ensures accurate housing client records by way of thorough outcome based recording of client encounters
- Sees clients on both a scheduled and urgent basis at the Center, and any assigned outreach site in the community
- Assists clients in applying for and reviewing/updating information on Housing Connection
- Assists clients in applying Rent Bank and other appropriate funds to prevent eviction.
- Provides crises intervention for clients facing housing related crises
- University degree or certificate in human services or equivalent in training and experience
- At least two years housing related service experiences
- Solid experience with vulnerable, disadvantages and low-income groups
- Demonstrated experience in basic counseling and crises intervention techniques
- Computer literacy with knowledge of various computer programs
- Thorough knowledge of community resources in housing sector
- Current knowledge of housing market conditions, legislation and tenant/landlord legal responsibilities
- Knowledge of Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program(ODSP) legislation/regulations
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
The successful candidate must be prepared to work out of multiple locations as required.
Unison Health and Community Services offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by 5:00 p.m., Wednesday August 27, 2014 to:
Hiring Committee-Housing Help Worker
Unison Health and Community Services
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We particularly encourage applicants who are reflective of the diversity of our communities. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.