No deadline noted
(Casual relief pool)
Unison Health and Community Services is formed by the voluntary merger of New Heights Community Health Centres and York Community Services. Unison’s mission is – working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change. Unison is committed to creating a safe environment that is respectful, non-judgmental and confidential, where people are free from discrimination and treated with dignity. Unison is now looking for dynamic individuals to support our Harm Reduction program. Unison employs anti-oppression and harm reduction approaches to provide a variety of services to the communities within the North West Toronto area.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct effective outreach, such as:
- Distributing harm reduction kits to clients, distributing condoms at predetermined locations
- Distributing harm reduction kits to clients during non-regular work hours
- Perform administrative tasks such as completing and submitting the Activity Record Form on a weekly basis
- Attend weekly peer meetings to report on outreach status, provide support to other peers and to identify barriers to services for those who are marginalized
- Attend orientation and all trainings
- Lived experience of drug use, homelessness and/or incarceration
- Knowledge & comfort working with street youth, panhandlers, the homeless and under-housed, injection drug users, crack users, sex workers, people who have come in conflict with the law as well as gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and trans-gendered people.
- Be a team player and actively participate in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Harm Reduction program.
- Good people skills required, must be open, non-judgmental and willing to learn.
- Must be willing to commit to anti-oppression and harm reduction practice.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Be familiar with the Bathurst-Finch and or Lawrence Heights Communities (see map)
- Include any volunteer work you have done or workshops you have attended.
- We want to know about your street skills and your lived experience.
- Your resume can be hand written, but it must be neat and easy to read.
Please submit your application to:
Wayne Duhaney, Harm Reduction Outreach Worker
by mail: 12 Flemington Road, Toronto M6A 2N4 or
Call (416)787.1676 ext. 278 for more information.