Deadline December 17, 2014
Flemingdon Health Centre (FHC) is a registered charity and an incorporated not-for-profit Community Health Centre (CHC), located in Toronto. We provide a range of health related services based on the social determinants of health and community engagement models. We are primarily funded through the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care/Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (TC-LHIN).
We are seeking a Health Promotion Team Lead to work collaboratively and support a multi-site Health Promotions (HP) team. As part of the Community Engagement department, this position will provide the overall planning and coordination of the HP team with the aim of ensuring efficient and effective delivery of HP programs and services to the community.
- planning, developing and implementing broad HP strategies
- facilitating the integration of a multidisciplinary HP focus in activities and services across the organization
- supporting and supervising HP team members
Employment terms: Full-Time, plus health benefits and pension (35 hours/week, with the expectation of working some evenings and weekends)
Location: This position works jointly from 2 office locations: Flemingdon Health Centre (10 Gateway Blvd.) & Fairview Community Health (5 Fairview Drive)
Reporting to: Director of Community Engagement
Qualifications, Skills and Proficiencies:
- Post graduate degree from a recognized university in health promotion or related discipline or equivalent experience
- Three to five years HP experience within a community-based organization (preferably a CHC)
- Demonstrated competency and experience in health promotion, interdisciplinary approach to program planning and implementation
- Demonstrated competency in program planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation, e.g. logic model, etc.
- Demonstrated competency in community development/engagement
- Experience working with funding bodies re: proposals and reporting
- Experience leading a multi-disciplinary team and facilitating effective team planning
- Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills
- Ability and experience to provide leadership to a diverse staff team
- Strong research skills, particularly in community-based research
- Ability to collect and analyze data, including familiarity with computer hardware and software systems
- Commitment to providing leadership in reducing barriers to health care experienced by marginalized communities
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression
- Excellent oral and written communication and report writing skills
- Ability to speak languages other than English an asset
- Ensure HP programs align with FHC’s mission, vision and values
- Oversee the planning and coordination of HP team functions, including regular team meetings, maintaining budgets, supervision of the Community Health Workers (CHWs) and admin staff, scheduling, vacation, conducting performance appraisals
- Using a HP/Wellbeing/Asset-based CD approach, identify and build on strengths within the community; identify needs/priority populations and recommend strategies to address these issues
- Oversee program/initiative development, implementation and evaluation utilizing the principles of health promotion.
- Initiate and/or participate in community-based research; analyze data, from these and other research, to identify trends particularly related to population health.
- Oversee the volunteer program; supervising the volunteer coordinator and enhancement of the program to ensure the effectiveness on the utilization of volunteers
- Facilitate the development and implementation of healthy workplace initiatives as needed
- Grant and proposal writing in support of relevant health promotion initiatives with an emphasis on significant and/or on-going funding
- Support community organizing, community development and advocacy opportunities and initiatives
- Participate in enhancing the centre’s relationship with stakeholders and partnerships
- Act as a resource for the development of health communication internally and externally
- Ensure appropriate statistical data is collected in a timely fashion
- Participate in broad-based health planning through collaboration with internal staff teams, affiliation with appropriate organizations, networks, and institutions.
- Bring a HP perspective to organizational planning as part of the Community Engagement team
- Supervise student placements, ensuring activities such as orientation, scheduling, and evaluation are carried out
- Participate in team meetings and centre-wide initiatives
- Perform administrative tasks, maintain accurate records and write monthly reports
- Other duties as assigned by Director, Community Engagement or designate.
Interested individuals are invited to submit an application including a cover letter and resume by Wednesday, December 17 at 5:00 p.m. to:
Flemingdon Health Centre
10 Gateway Blvd.,
Toronto, ON M3C 3A1
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please mention the following in the subject line: Health Promotion Team Lead Position
**We thank all applicants for their interest but regret that only those selected for an interview will receive acknowledgement. Please note that a criminal background check (Vulnerable sector) will be conducted for this position.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.