Deadline December 12, 2014
Contract Part-time – 7 hours/week (Duration: 11 months)
The Residents First Project will provide an enhanced model for resident leadership and resident engagement. It will improve and enhance connections, communications and information sharing between the focus communities and increase opportunities for residents to initiate and lead development of the community through new projects or feedback for agency accountability and action. Using a community development approach, this position is responsible for leading community engagement activities and providing consulting services to a variety of community-based organizations, stakeholders and partners to identify needs and the appropriate responses.
- This position is accountable to the Residents First Coordinator and Pathways Director.
- Participate in RF Project team
- Work with RF Coordinator to develop RF Charter
- Work with RF Coordinator to develop the leadership training (train the trainer) curriculum
- Participate in leadership training activities
- Support RF Coordinator to plan and implement the community cafés in their respective neighbourhoods
- Facilitate community cafes and workshops
- Provide direction and advice to support Community animators, and RF Project
- Identify community needs related to targeted populations, and facilitate the planning and delivery of integrated community services to meet those needs.
- Facilitate public consultation and analysis of social issues and trends.
- Participate and assist in the development of residents’ roles in long and short-term plans that promote a strong resident capacity and community development in Lawrence Heights, Neptune and Lotherton Pathway
- Facilitate and negotiate the development of partnerships that contribute to the effective delivery of inclusive programs, a reduction in barriers to participation, and increase in community engagement for (seniors, youth, early years children and those with disabilities) targeted populations.
- Represent the RF Project on inter–agency planning bodies and working groups related to programs and services for target populations
- Perform related work as required.
- Completion of a degree or diploma in Community Development or Social Sciences or a combination of work and education with a minimum of three (3) years related work experience.
- Knowledge of needs assessment and strategic planning principles and practices, with demonstrated ability to implement sound community development processes.
- Knowledge of and experience leading community engagement and consultation processes.
- Knowledge of and experience with the Lawrence Heights, Neptune and/or Lotherton Pathway communities
- Knowledge of participation processes, group facilitation, team building, and group dynamics.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply project management principles and practices.
- Ability to research, analyze, and summarize reliable information and determine action required.
- Ability to use various computer software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, asset management software and scheduling software.
- Ability to communicate ideas and concepts effectively in oral and written form to a variety of audiences including formal public presentations, written reports, and the development and delivery of training and resource materials.
- Ability to negotiate mutually beneficial agreements and to manage change through decision-making, problem solving, and consensus building.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and to work cooperatively with staff, peers, supervisors, volunteers, elected officials, and the public.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by 5:00 p.m., Friday, December 12, 2014 to:
Residents First Hiring Committee
Unison Health and Community Services
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.