Deadline January 2, 2015
Diabetes Education Centre (DEC)
1 full time (35 hour/week), one year contract position
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change. Operating out of five locations, staff at Unison provide a range of clinical and community health services and programs. Our Diabetes Education Centre (DEC) is composed of five full time nurses and six full time dietitians, outreach workers and administrative support staff. We educate and counsel clients with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes in individual/group and off-site settings.
We are currently seeking a one-year, full time Community Kinesiologist – Certified Exercise Physiologist to develop, implement and evaluate the Community Exercise Education Program that will provide exercise education and counselling for clients who are at risk for developing diabetes and those living with Pre-diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.
The successful candidate will have strong program planning and evaluation skills. S/he will also possess excellent organizational and time management skills. Willingness to work at multiple sites, i.e. at the four Unison’s service delivery locations and working in the evenings is a requirement for the position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop, implement and evaluate the Exercise Education Program based on a client-centred, inter-disciplinary approach.
- Conduct thorough fitness assessment of clients with diabetes, including strength and aerobic capacity and taking into consideration ethno-cultural backgrounds and the social determinants of health.
- Provide individual exercise prescription, counselling, and supervision of clients within scope of practice.
- In close collaboration with the Diabetes Education team, develop client-focused health maintenance plans related to diabetes utilizing a holistic and inter-disciplinary approach.
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to-date medical records, communication with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers, and making referrals where appropriate.
- Design and facilitate weekly group exercise classes and health and wellness workshops.
- Use a variety of teaching methods and principles of education and behaviour change to engage with clients through various exercise modalities.
- Engage in health promotion, outreach activities and exercise education in the community.
- Advocate on behalf of clients with respect to systemic issues as they arise.
- Act as an exercise resource to staff members and community stakeholders.
- Support and supervise students and volunteers assisting in the exercise program.
- Contribute to policy and protocol development in relation to health care service and program delivery and/or professional practice.
The successful candidate will possess and demonstrate:
- Current registration with and member in good standing with the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario.
- Exercise Physiologist Certification (CSEP or ACSM)
- Undergraduate degree in Kinesiology or Physical Education from a recognized university and/or college; Masters degree in Kinesiology or Physical Education considered an asset
- Current CPR C + AED certification
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working with, and prescribing exercise for clients with diabetes and various comorbidities, including cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, and other metabolic disorders.
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) preferred or willingness to obtain within 2 years.
- Strong experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in group facilitation and utilizing various adult education methods.
- Understanding and demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative, inter-disciplinary team environment.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Experience working in cultural, racial, economic and socially diverse communities and demonstrated commitment to anti-oppressive practices.
- Experienced in the use of computers, various software applications and EMR systems, such as NOD.
- Proficiency in a second language (i.e. Spanish, Portuguese, Somali, Russian, Farsi, Italian) is an asset
- Willingness to work at multiple sites, i.e. Unison’s service delivery locations.
- Evening work is required
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by January 2nd, 2015 5:00 p.m., to:
Hiring Committee, Community Kinesiologist (DEC)
Unison Health and Community Services
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We encourage applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.