Deadline December 24, 2014
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre (DPNCHC) is a multi-service community agency committed to furthering community development/capacity building and health promotion activities for all ages. A United Way Agency, the Centre specializes in programs ranging from early years to youth, isolated adults, health and seniors. The Seniors Group Fitness Instructor will plan, develop, implement, promote and evaluate group exercise classes at seniors’ residences in Toronto a minimum of twice-weekly. They will work with DPNCHC Staff, residence staff and other community-based agencies to collectively address seniors’ fitness issues in order to improve the independence, safety awareness, and health and well-being of seniors, through fun, physical activity – within the context of DPNCHC’s philosophy and mission statement. This program is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health through the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network.
- Teach group fitness classes to Seniors 65+
- To work cooperatively with DPNCHC Staff, residence staff and other community-based agencies in the planning and implementation of programming related to seniors’ fitness
- To assist in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of seniors fitness programming within our Service Model that includes Best Practices and uses a client-centred, community development process
- Provide information and referrals to individuals, groups and families in classes and the community at large regarding seniors fitness, when appropriate
- Collect and maintain statistics, evaluative data and incident reports for seniors fitness activities i.e. attendance, participant information (forms, etc.) as required
- Assist in maintaining effective contact with service and community partners and networks
- To assist in developing and implementing an outreach strategy related to seniors fitness
- Ensure timely preparation of information and statistics for written reports for the Seniors’ Services Manager
- Seniors Group Fitness Instructor training with the Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging (CCAA)
- 1.5 years minimum experience providing group fitness classes to culturally diverse seniors who are marginalized/isolated and require fitness support
- Current CPR and First Aid certificates
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills
- Knowledge of services and community organizations for seniors
- Experience working with and supporting volunteers and student placements
- Excellent fluency in English – verbally and written language
- Basic computer literacy (WORD, Word-perfect, Excel, email, data base programs)
- Fluency in a second language – particularly Mandarin, Cantonese, Portuguese, Polish or Spanish is an asset.
Start Date: January 5, 2015. This position is part of the bargaining unit.
Salary range: $19.995-$21.814 per hour. Hours of work to be agreed upon; approximately 2 or more days weekly.
Submit cover letter and resume via email:
Posting 2014-029 at email@example.com or mail to 1900 Davenport Rd, Toronto, ON M6N 1B7.
Due Dates: Internal: 5 pm, Dec 19, 2014 External: 5 pm, December 24, 2014.
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre encourages applications from candidates whose background is diverse in terms of culture, race, language, religion, class, gender/sexual orientation, and including those who may need accommodation. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls please. DPNCHC is a perfume free environment.