Deadline January 5, 2015
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre (DPNCHC) is a multi-service community agency committed to furthering community development/capacity building and health promotion activities for all ages. A United Way Agency, the Centre specializes in programs ranging from early years to youth, isolated adults, health and seniors. The Seniors’ Program Worker - Portuguese-speaking, will plan, develop, implement, promote and evaluate projects, related activities and events for participants 55 years and older, of diverse cultures – and specifically for the Portuguese-speaking community. They will work with DPNCHC Staff, participants’ families and other community-based agencies to collectively address issues relating to, or affecting seniors’, within the context of DPNCHC’s philosophy and mission statement.
- Participate in a constructive, collaborative and cooperative manner within the Seniors’ Staff Team;
- Provide effective support, direction and leadership to program workers, assistants, student placements and volunteers, and assist with their performance reviews when necessary;
- Assist with program planning, development and implementation of seniors’ services - in particular- programming for Portuguese-speakers 55 years and older-within our Service Model that includes Best Practices and uses a client-centred, community development process;
- Provide support, information, referrals and informal counselling to individuals-principally Portuguese-speakers, as directed;
- Collect and maintain statistics and evaluative data for seniors activities, i.e. attendance, participant information and registration forms as required;
- Assist in maintaining effective contact with service and community partners and networks - particularly in the Portuguese-speaking community;
- Ensure that petty cash spending is on target;
- Ensure timely preparation of information and statistics for written reports and funding proposals for the Seniors’ Services Manager, team meetings, and other relevant committees as required;
- Participate in implementing outreach strategy to participants-as well as follow-up strategy-with a focus on Portuguese-speakers 55+.
- 1.5 years of experience providing programming to marginalized or isolated and culturally diverse seniors-preferably Portuguese-speaking
- Fluency in Portuguese writing and verbal skills is a requirement
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills
- Good computer literacy (WORD, Excel, email, data base programs)
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- Knowledge of, and commitment to health promotion, cultural competency and community development
- Knowledge of services and community organizations for Portuguese-speaking seniors
- Current CPR and First Aid certificates
- Experience working with and supporting volunteers and student placements
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Knowledge of the DPNCHC catchment area is an asset
Start Date: January 13, 2015. This position is not part of the bargaining unit.
Salary range: $19.995-$21.814 per hour; hours of work to be agreed upon; approximately 1 day weekly.
Submit letter and resume to:
Posting 2014-031 to email@example.com or mail to 1900 Davenport Rd, Toronto, ON M6N 1B7
Due Dates: Internal Applicants: 5 p.m., Dec. 30, 2014 External Applicants: 5 p.m., January 5, 2015
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre encourages applications from candidates whose background is diverse in terms of culture, race, language, religion, class, gender/sexual orientation, and including those who may need accommodation. DPNCHC is a perfume free environment. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.