Deadline January 30, 2015
Job ID 15-0026
Seven month contract
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Epidemiologist, Analytic Services
Department: Knowledge Services
Duration: Temporary full-time (seven month contract)
Location: 480 University Avenue
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Job Code: Group 5
Salary: $63,330 - $89,163
Position Status: Open
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: January 16, 2015
Closing Date: January 30, 2015
Provide professional epidemiologic services in the areas of surveillance and epidemiology directed towards both infectious and non-infectious diseases.
Provide epidemiologic support relating to infection prevention and control, health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention, environmental and occupational health, health emergency preparedness and public health laboratory services in alignment with the strategic priorities of Public Health Ontario.
- Designs and coordinates population health assessment and/or surveillance data-extraction processes to provide timely information to PHO and its key stakeholders, either as part of regular reporting activities, or on an as-needed basis for special purposes.
- Prepares current data to enable and support decision-making processes for PHO and its stakeholders; responds to requests from stakeholders.
- Provides expertise to support the programs and services, epidemiologic research, population health assessment and surveillance activities of PHO geared at generating scientific and technical knowledge for evidence based communication, decision making, planning and implementation of public health policies and programs.
- Identifies appropriate data sources and monitors current local, provincial, national and international trends in epidemiologic activity and reports in a timely manner.
- Designs and conducts complex data retrievals to meet health information requirements from key stakeholders, reporting obligations (e.g. to PHAC, MOHLTC) and to support the conduct of epidemiologic research and routine operations.
- Provides subject-matter expertise and resource support to PHO colleagues.
- Liaises as necessary with stakeholders and resources in various health sector, research and regulatory institutions, and builds strong working relationships between these and PHO.
- Presents findings, initiatives and relevant PHO activities at local, regional, national and international forums as appropriate.
- Liaises with government, public health, research and academic institutions to contribute to, and keep appraised of best practices in surveillance methodology, information and reporting tools.
- Prepares scientific and technical publications to communicate trends, investigative findings and research initiatives to internal audience and the broader public health community as appropriate.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of and skills in disease surveillance, research, statistics, disease control and public health and working with infectious and non-infectious diseases data sources, running surveillance systems, procuring data, preparing reports and editing reports with scientific rigour.
- Experience informing public health policy and practice, having contributed to the introduction and implementation of new initiatives.
- Knowledge of, and skills in methods used routinely for analyzing data including sample size calculations, comparison of categorical and continuous data, stratification and pooling of odds ratios, multivariate analysis.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant regulations and regulatory trends in epidemiology, public health and surveillance.
- Knowledge of microbiology laboratory operations and surveillance would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of PHO’s mandate, relevant legislation such as the HPPA and PHIPPA and the Ontario Public Health Standards.
- Skills in managing large databases and personal health information and analyzing these data using statistical software packages.
- Organizational and project management skills to prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines.
- Skills in organizing a research study from conception, through design to reporting.
- Ability to critically evaluate and synthesize relevant sources of information.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in epidemiology, community health or related field.
- Minimum two to four years of experience as an epidemiologist in a public health or related setting.
- Experience with data extraction and analysis would be an asset.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.