Deadline February 6, 2015
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is seeking a Program Manager in the Health Protection Division. Reporting to the Director of Health Protection, this manager will lead a multidisciplinary team of professionals in the efficient delivery of public health services consistent with the Mission, Vision and Values of the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit. All public health competencies apply to the planning, development, implementation, evaluation, supervision, and management of public health programs and services supporting the requirements of the Ontario Public Health Standards and the Health Protection and Promotion Act.
- Provide leadership and direction to a diverse team of employees
- Support the development and implementation of strategic directions and departmental, divisional and unit business plans
- Actively participate in management meetings (e.g. HUMAT)
- Prepare reports (e.g. Board, Ministry, SMT)
- Create a positive work environment
- Communicate a consistent vision and direction for the team, ensuring communication barriers are eliminated
- Consult with and maintain strong relationships with members of the public, staff at all levels, external organizations, members of the Board and other departments to help achieve the goals of the team, division and organization
- Accountable for effective internal and external communications
- Evaluate, monitor and assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and resolve the problem, or make recommendations to the Director that are aligned with the vision and values of the organization
- Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- Ensure team issues and concerns are addressed so that goals and objectives are successful
- Develops implementation plans taking into account relevant evidence, legislation, risk management frameworks, regulations and policies.
- Lead and direct the effective management of all team initiatives, projects and staff
- Establish a positive, healthy, and safe work environment according to all appropriate legislation and regulations; ensure staff receive appropriate orientation and training
- Recruit, interview and select staff able to help achieve team, division and organization goals
- Monitor staff performance on an on-going basis and conduct annual performance reviews; coach and develop staff to improve or enhance performance
- Prepare financial projections and administer funds according to the approved budget; approve expenditures within the budget and monitor the cash flow
- Anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate policies, programs, services and projects that meet the needs of the community
- Demonstrated experience in managing in a unionized environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of Public Health and various related acts/codes/standards
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, versatile, and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Demonstrated superior written and communication skills
- Demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email and Internet
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License and access to a reliable motor vehicle during work hours is required.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a résumé in confidence by email to email@example.com with Reference #3, Attention: Dan Sibley, Manager of Human Resources by 4:30 p.m. on Friday February 6, 2015.
Thank you for your interest in this posting, those that are selected for in interview will be contacted.