Deadline February 5, 2015
Position No.: 2015-06
Position Title: Health Promotion Specialist – Temporary
1 FTE – 35 hrs/week
Until March 2, 2016
Location: Chancellors Way - Guelph
Program/Division: Chronic Disease, Injury Prevention and Substance Misuse, Community Health and Wellness
Program Manager: Chronic Disease, Injury Prevention and Substance Misuse
As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, the Health Promotion Specialist participates in the planning, coordination, implementation and evaluation of health promotion strategies in the assigned program areas. These strategies include community development, program planning and evaluation, coalition building, inter-community collaboration, policy development, social marketing, and health communications.
The focus of this position will primarily be working in the alcohol and tobacco portfolio.
Area of responsibilities:
- Apply health promotion expertise in research, planning, implementation and evaluation to assigned program areas.
- Engage internal and external stakeholders in the development of community-based health promotion strategies, including awareness, skill-building, creating supportive environments and healthy public policy.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other community-based health, social and education agencies, professional groups and business as appropriate to assignment.
- Ensure the maintenance of statistics and data for the purpose of monitoring, evaluation and planning of health promotion initiatives.
- Provide health promotion technical expertise to community coalitions and organizations that partner with public health.
- Plan, organize and conduct educational workshops, in-services and presentations for staff and the community. Identify and develop educational materials and resources.
- Prepare grant applications, project budgets and funding proposals both internally and with external groups.
Hours of Work: Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Flexible working hours are required
Position Effective: March 2, 2015
Salary Range: $36.99/hr to $43.49/hr
- Baccalaureate degree in health or related discipline
- Masters degree in health promotion, health science or related discipline
- Minimum 1 year experience in health promotion, and 3 years related practical experience
- Technical expertise and experience in health promotion strategies including:
- adult education
- social marketing
- health education and health communication
- community development and mobilization
- program planning and evaluation
- policy development
- coalition building and advocacy
- Demonstrated competencies in research design (qualitative and quantitative), epidemiology, statistics and associated computer software
- Experience in engaging multiple stakeholders in working together on health promotion strategies.
- Excellent presentation and group facilitation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Project management skills and ability to prioritize
- Valid driver’s license and use of vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza and adult immunization.
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please forward a resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
Deadline for application is Thursday, February 5th, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
WDG Public Health is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine eligibility of employment.
WDG Public Health is committed to providing accommodations during the recruitment process for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation(s), please advise Human Resources in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.