Deadline March 10, 2015
Job ID: 15-0059
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit https://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Communication Advisor
Department: Office of the President and Chief Executive Officer
Duration: Full time permanent
Location: 480 University Avenue
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: Group 4
Salary: $55,070- $77,100
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: February 24, 2015
Closing Date: March 10, 2015
To develop and implement proactive and reactive corporate communications plans, strategies and related products for internal and external audiences to effectively support, promote and respond to communication initiatives and issues for the Office of the President and CEO.
Working in collaboration with the Knowledge Exchange and Communication team, leads the development communications for the President and CEO, notably his speeches, presentations and external relations activities.
- Supports the development and implementation of the PHO corporate communications strategy to increase the profile of public health in the province and promote the role of PHO, by: identifying key stakeholders, relationships and opportunities, determining appropriate communications tactics and tools, developing and adapting key messages, determining dissemination vehicles appropriate to audience needs, tactical planning to inform and engage PHO audiences and increase awareness of PHO programs and initiatives, and monitoring and evaluation against objectives.
- Develops, edits and formulates a wide variety of communications materials for internal and external audiences for the Office of the President, such as emails, memos, correspondence, presentations, speeches, briefing notes, internal and external newsletter articles, and intranet and internet website content ensuring consistent and strategic messaging of the Office of the President and CEO.
- Collaborates with senior management and staff to create presentations, submissions and correspondence relating to a variety of topics.
- Coordinates the review and distribution of communications and information from the Office of the President and CEO.
- Assists in the development of PHO’s Annual Report, in close collaboration with the Planning and Performance department.
- Provides support to and acts as backup for the Media and Public Relations Advisor, including developing and executing media relations strategies, supporting and responding to media inquiries as needed, monitoring media and social media, producing daily clippings, tracking PHO media activity, and developing regular reports such as media mentions and supporting analyses.
- Liaises on an ongoing basis with the Knowledge Exchange and Communications team to ensure consistency and alignment with communications strategies and tactics.
- Creates, promotes and maintains cooperative working relationships with contacts at the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and other relevant government officials, media partners, public health units and other stakeholders to coordinate activities of common interest, provide briefings, and respond to calls for information.
- Provides communications planning and promotional input and support to Office of the President projects and events.
- Ensures compliance with PHO media relations, communications and other corporate standards, policies and legislative directives.
- Identifies environmental and stakeholder issues of concerns that may influence or affect PHO.
- Provides assistance on projects within the department and contributes to the operation of the Office of the President.
- Tracks and manages stakeholder information and interactions using PHO’s stakeholder relationship management system;
- Keeps abreast of developments and innovations in new media technology and incorporates new developments into communications programs; stays apprised of the various program activities within PHO and at other institutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of communications and information-gathering principles and techniques with expertise in developing communications tools and products for a variety of media in support of technical programs.
- Knowledge of communications principles, theories and techniques.
- Knowledge of web-based communications, as well as familiarity with e-print, internet, and graphics design processes.
- Knowledge of the health sector and the medical communications field, in order to create, research, write, and edit communication materials such as speeches, fact sheets, pamphlets, brochures, internal and external newsletters, intranet and internet websites, reports, new media, stakeholder scientific briefs, and communiqués.
- Knowledge of project management techniques, practices, and processes in order to participate in various projects.
- Copy-editing and proofreading skills to improve clarity and readability of all communications products.
- Knowledge of information gathering and dissemination techniques in order to develop and design communications materials, e.g., speeches, fact sheets, pamphlets, stakeholder scientific briefs, communiqués, and internal/external newsletters, and to ensure timely and appropriate delivery and distribution of such products.
- Skill and ability to work effectively in a high profile environment; high degree of organizational skills in order to multi-task in a fast paced environment; skill in delivering results within required deadlines - often in urgent situations.
- Skill and ability to work effectively under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Research and analytical skills to work on projects where an understanding of legislation, policies and guidelines is required to prepare the communications plan and products.
- Ability to quickly familiarize new projects and identify salient information in order to create effective communication solutions and products under tight time restraints.
Education and Experience
- Baccalaureate degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, English or related field, to aid in creation and development of high-quality, effective communications products
- At least five years of experience in writing, journalism or new media, in order to develop and implement high-quality, timely, measurable communication plans, strategies, tools and tactics.
- Proven experience in the implementation of multi-media and social media communications plans and tactics.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.