Deadline March 20, 2015
Job ID: 15-0072
Public Health Ontario (PHO/Agency) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit htt://www.publichealthontario.ca.
To provide senior level support to the development and execution of PHO’s communications strategy by managing the planning, development, coordination and implementation of communications plans, resources and tactics to effectively convey and promote PHO’s activities and initiatives.
Qualified internal applicant(s) will be considered first.
- Manage the planning, development and implementation of comprehensive communications plans, guidance, resources, services and tools to ensure that PHO information, products, expertise and resources are widely available, known and utilized.
- Work with Knowledge Services leadership and staff on the development and implementation of an integrated strategic approach to PHO knowledge exchange and communications activities and initiatives to enable policy, program and practice action with individuals, organizations and at the system level.
- Work in partnership with Knowledge Services and other corporate and program areas to integrate and advance communications strategies into the planning, production and dissemination of PHO knowledge products and resources, including: audience identification and analysis, key messages, product types and formats, appropriate communications tactics and tools, dissemination vehicles, and knowledge mobilization approaches.
- Provide expert advice and support to PHO program areas to assist in promoting, communicating and disseminating their initiatives, activities or other opportunities.
- Promote innovative approaches to PHO communications and knowledge product development and dissemination, including data visualization, use of multi-media and interactive applications, digital technologies, and current and emerging best practices.
- Support the development and delivery of high quality, high impact, audience-appropriate PHO products and resources by establishing and/or implementing clear processes and accountabilities for content reviews and approvals; production supports including copywriting/copyediting, formatting, and layout and design; and final clearance and dissemination.
- Enhance the effectiveness and tracking of Communications Services activities through the coordination, monitoring and reporting of initiatives, projects and deliverables, including status reporting on annual operational plans, ongoing initiatives and activities, and project-specific plans, as well as dashboards to track and report on Communications Services indicators.
- Maintain the PHO integrated production coordination and notification system, including an integrated calendar of PHO products and upcoming/past publication lists; compliance with required notification processes to the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care; and provision of appropriate and timely reporting to PHO management and program areas.
- Provide oversight on the implementation and coordination of PHO’s integrated Stakeholder Relationship Management system to manage contacts, distribution lists and relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Provide oversight for department and organizational compliance with PHO and government policies, standards, and rules, including Communications-related directives and protocols.
- Measure the success or effectiveness of communications plans, programs and services.
- Enhance and increase PHO’s capacity for high quality, consistent and effective writing, editing, design and overall production through the provision of training and professional development for communications and program staff.
- Draft RFPs, business cases and other documents as required for procurement of services and resources.
- Manage staff, congruent with PHO internal policies and procedures, professional standards, Collective Agreement requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations, including: providing direction and leadership in the implementation of new techniques and standards; assigning staff and implementing work/vacation schedules, setting clear responsibilities and objectives, evaluating performance, advising on training needs, participating on recruiting/selection of staff, dealing with disciplinary issues and responding to grievances in conjunction with PHO Human Resources management programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated evidence of responsibility for planning, management and execution of communications, marketing or related project plans.
- Knowledge of legislated requirements and directives, and PHO policies, guidelines and protocols.
- Knowledge of public sector procurement requirements and practices. Experience in preparing statements of work (SOWs) for business cases, requests for proposals and other required documents for securing event vendors.
- Knowledge of budget management and reporting requirements/procedures in order to develop and prepare communications budgets, to track and maintain a record of expenditures, and to ensure that budgets are adhered to, and managed effectively.
- Knowledge of public sector business planning approaches, and ability to develop relevant, policies, standards, and guidelines.
- Project management, problem solving, organizational and prioritizing skills are required in order to plan, coordinate, and execute communications strategies and tactics.
- Focused planning and organizational skills are required to independently undertake the planning and execution of several communications activities concurrently.
- Creative thinking skills are required to plan and implement communications activities and tactics that meet both the program and corporate communications objectives,
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs (MS Office) including: content management (SharePoint), word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications, and project management.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent combination of post-secondary diploma, training, and experience in a related field, preferably Communications, Marketing, Public or Community Relations, Business Administration, or related education),
- Five years of managerial experience in planning and implementing/managing communications, in order to lead the development and execution of PHO’s communications strategies and plan.
Job Status: Full Time Regular
Posting date: 3/6/2015
Closing date: 3/20/2015
Street Address: 480 University Avenue
Province: Ontario [ON]
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.