Deadline May 1, 2015
Flemingdon Health Centre (FHC) is an incorporated not-for-profit Community Health Centre (CHC) which provides a range of health-related services based on the social determinants of health and community engagement models. We are primarily funded through the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (TC LHIN).
The successful candidate will be a part of the Don Mills Diabetes Education Program multidisciplinary team of nurses and dietitians who provide diabetes education and management services to those clients living with Type 2 diabetes, prediabetes or are at high risk. This includes assessment, group education sessions and individual counselling, onsite or offsite.
Don Mills DEP has successfully met the Standards for Diabetes Education in Canada and has been granted national recognition by the Canadian Diabetes Association.
Employment terms: Permanent Full Time, 35 hours/week. There will be evenings and weekends, based on the needs of the community.
Salary Range: $55,012 - $66,079 plus excellent benefits
Reporting to: Program Coordinator, Don Mills Diabetes Education Program
Qualifications, Skills and Proficiencies:
- Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- University degree in Nursing
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a community health setting, including diabetes education
- A Certified Diabetes Educator (or working towards completing the designation) is preferred
- Experience working with multi-ethnic groups
- Demonstrated experience in counselling using various techniques
- Facilitation skills and experience in adult education/ group facilitation
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to speak another language (Urdu, Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil, Farsi) an asset
- Well-organized and able to work both independently and cooperatively
- Experience in program planning, implementation and evaluation
- Familiarity with computer technology; monthly statistics recording
- Familiarity with Nightingale on Demand (electronic charting) an asset
- Provide individual counselling to clients around diabetes education and management
- Deliver workshops and presentations as part of the group education piece of the program
- Work collaboratively with the Registered Dietitian, Outreach Worker and volunteers to coordinate the different aspects of the program
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of program activities
- Promote the Diabetes Education Program to other professions, community agencies and ethno-cultural communities
- Communicate with glucometer companies, keep inventory of supplies and warranty cards, order resources as needed, keep abreast of new developments and
- Provide placement opportunity for nursing students and preceptorship for development of placement activities (optional activity); mentoring and coordination of
- Organize additional programming and coordination of guest speakers for Review/Support group nights based on the needs and requests of clients (at least 2
- Attend CDENT meetings, CDA chapter meetings, when possible
- Attend and participate in regular team meetings; proactively participate in quarterly planning, program review and development
- Attend monthly FHC meetings and participate in committees, when possible
Closing Date: May 1, 2015
Please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include the job title in the subject line: Diabetes Nurse Educator- Don Mills Diabetes Education Program
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret that only those selected for an interview will receive acknowledgement. Please note that a criminal background check (vulnerable sector) will be conducted for this position.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.