Deadline May 22, 2015
Full time; temporary - mat leave contract
Peel Children and Youth Initiative (PCYI) is looking for a dynamic, self-starting communications professional for the position of Communications Manager (maternity leave contract beginning in July 2015).
The Peel Children and Youth Initiative is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping all children and youth (ages 0-24) in Peel region to thrive. We work collaboratively with hundreds of partners in Peel in the child and youth serving sector. Our roles include: research, knowledge dissemination, capacity building, system planning, advocacy and youth engagement. Learn more about us at http://www.pcyi.org.
About the position
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Manager oversees the organization’s communication strategy. This position requires a person with a broad range of skill sets under the communications and public relations umbrella. As the sole member of the communications “department,” the Communications Manager must have experience in both developing strategy and implementing tactics.
The Communications Manager oversees all areas listed in the qualifications for this role (below) and supports the work of the organization’s strategic priorities. This includes communications support related to our research, Enrolled By 6 Peel Postsecondary Strategy, Peel Recreation and After School Strategy, Youth Advisory Council and Peel’s System Integration Framework for Children and Youth (including Success By 6 Peel). The Communication Manager acts as the chair for the annual Collaborative State of Mind Conference and for the PCYI Media Communications Resource Committee.
You are a motivated professional with a post-secondary degree and/or post-graduate diploma in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or a related field. You have at least 5 years of experience in a Communications role, preferably in a non-profit or public sector setting. You have an aptitude for working collaboratively within a team and with the broader community, but you are also a self-motivated individual. You have experience successfully managing multiple priorities and meeting many simultaneous deadlines. You have successfully demonstrated a high skill level in the following areas:
- Media relations – proactively seek media coverage of newsworthy announcements and reactively respond to media requests; track and measure coverage.
- Social media management - focus on twitter, facebook, youtube and wordpress
- Graphic design – knowledge of, and skill set in, Adobe Creative Cloud software
- Material production – content, design, layout and printing of various materials, including annual reports, brochures, flyers, etc.
- Event management – planning and execution of conferences, community consultations, special events
- Government relations and advocacy
- Web management – working within a CMS to sustain an effective web presence; content development and information architecture; knowledge of Google analytics and metrics; domain renewal
- Vendor relations – working with a variety of vendors (i.e. web, print)
- Budget management –oversee a budget within a non-profit setting
- Email marketing – using an email distribution service to produce and disseminate relevant content, including newsletter; analyzing metrics to impact strategy
- Facilitation and leadership
- Writing and editing – writing effectively for a variety of different audiences and mediums, including research reports, promotional content, web/digital/social, etc.
- Knowledge of the child and youth serving sector within Peel region is a strong asset.
The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle. Standard hours are Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. with rare evening and weekend work required for special projects and events. This position offers a competitive salary range and benefits package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Andrea Lue, Executive Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 22, 2015, with a subject line of “Communications Manager Application”. A link to work samples is appreciated. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.