Chancellors Way, Ontario
Deadline May 19, 2015
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Location: Chancellors Way, Ontario, Canada
Salary: 36.99 $CAD /Hour to 43.49 $CAD /Hour
Reports To: Manager - Manager, Chronic Disease, Injury Prevention & Substance Misuse
Closing Date: Tuesday, May 19th, 2015
As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, the Health Promotion Specialist participates in the planning, coordination, implementation and evaluation of health promotion strategies in the assigned program areas. These strategies include community development, program planning and evaluation, coalition building, inter-community collaboration, policy development, social marketing, and health communications. Mentors staff to promote their development of health promotions skills.
This position will be in the area of tobacco prevention. Specifically, the focus will be on working with community partners and internal staff to build youth resiliency and assets for the prevention of tobacco and other risk factors.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Applies health promotion expertise in research, planning, implementation and evaluation to assigned program areas.
- Provides health promotion expertise to support the work of management, staff, and epidemiologist.
- Engages internal and external stakeholders in the development of community-based health promotion strategies.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other community-based health, social and education agencies, professional groups and business as appropriate to assignment.
- Ensures the maintenance of statistics and data for the purpose of monitoring, evaluation and planning of health promotion initiatives.
- Provides health promotion technical expertise to community coalitions and organizations that partner with public health.
- Plans, organizes and conducts educational workshops, in-services and presentations for staff and the community. Identifies and develops educational materials and resources.
Hours of Work:
- Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Flexible working hours are required
- July, 2015 to July, 2016
- 4 year BA degree in health or related discipline; MA degree in health promotion or health sciences
- Minimum 1 year experience in health promotion, 3 years related practical experience
- Technical expertise in adult education, social marketing, health education, health communication, community development and mobilization, program planning and evaluation, policy development, coalition building and advocacy.
- Research Design (qualitative and quantitative)
- Epidemiology, statistical analysis and associated computer software
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication
- Group facilitation skills, organization and attention to detail
- Program management skills, ability to prioritize
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work independently as well as a team member
- Ability to work with diverse groups
- Valid driver’s license and use of vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza and adult immunization.
For further details and to apply view the posting on our website: https://clients.njoyn.com/CL4/xweb/Xweb.asp?tbtoken=ZllfSx5dQlU4Z3J0QSdQ....
We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
WDG Public Health is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine eligibility of employment.
WDG Public Health is committed to providing accommodations during the recruitment process for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation(s), please advise Human Resources in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.