Deadline June 1, 2015
Job ID 15-0192
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about Public Health Ontario, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Student Education and Preceptor Support Coordinator
Department: Knowledge Services
Duration: Permanent Part-time
Hours of Work: 18.13 per week (2.5 days per week)
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: Group 4
Salary: $55,070 - $77,100
Posting Date: May 15, 2015
Closing Date: June 1, 2015
Promote the quality of public health practice by supporting Ontario Public Health Units to provide placements and education opportunities for health and social sciences and human services students at all levels of post-secondary study.
Qualified internal applicant(s) will be considered first.
- Organize, plan and coordinate the activities of the SPEP network.
- Provide guidance, support and feedback to working groups to deliver on initiatives and activities to support the network goals.
- Provides leadership to public health units to create a supportive culture and organizational foundation to value and support student education and learning, including support for preceptors and those who provide student placements.
- Provides leadership to SPEP (Student Placement, Education and Preceptor) Network members in health units to coordinate and share resources; promote collaboration and problem solve issues related to student placements and support preceptor development.
- Identify opportunities for partnerships with academic institutions, and consult to network members to assist in the facilitation of agreements with academic institutions.
- Develop and facilitate an online collaboration site for SPEP members and coordinate networking activities, including biannual face-to-face meetings.
- Develop and submit quarterly reports detailing network activities to Manager, Knowledge Mobilization
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of SPEP network model, its initiatives and activities to make recommendations for future directions.
- Contribute to the development of an annual work-plan in response to the needs and priorities of SPEP members, trends and public health human resource strategies.
- Collaborate with placement coordinators in health units and academic institutions to provide support, direction, guidance, training and consultation to staff working with students through the provision of tools, resources and best practices related to student placement, student orientation, preceptor recruitment and preceptor development.
- Liaises and contributes to PHO’s student and preceptor support and placement coordination activities.
- Support the broader PHO professional development and education strategy with public health professionals associations and its relevant activities.
- Collaborate with colleagues within the Knowledge Mobilization team in the overall planning and implementation of education-related activities with a focus on student education across Ontario’s Public Health units.
- Interpret the needs of different student groups and assist health units to identify appropriate learning experiences.
- Coordinate and maintain a central placement tracking database.
- Present timely and efficient responses to student placement issues and flag concerns as needed to Manager, Knowledge Mobilization.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of the principles and theory of public health practice, public health competencies, and the principles and practice of adult teaching and learning
- Knowledge of the academic requirements academic requirements/context for student placements across the breadth of public health disciplines (or like disciplines) in order to provide leadership, advice and support across Public Health Units on student education and preceptor support.
- Experience with establishing and maintaining systems for student placement and preceptor development (e.g. policies, procedures, training, contracts)
- Experience in building and sustaining community and academic partnerships in the context of educational activities.
- Skills in the design, development, delivery and evaluation of educational resources and experiences.
- Technical and facilitation skills related to an online community of practice; experience working with SharePoint is beneficial.
- Project/time management skills.
- Planning and evaluation skills.
Education and Experience
- A degree in public health, health sciences or health-related discipline, adult education or human resources.
- Minimum of five years of experience working in public health, student services or a related field, ideally as a preceptor or coordinator of student placements.
- Preference will be given to a candidate with experience conducting these duties within a health unit context.
Job Status Part Time Regular
Posting date 5/15/2015
Closing date 6/1/2015
Street Address 480 University Avenue
Province Ontario [ON]