Deadline July 2, 2015
Job ID: 15-0240
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Education Specialist
Department: Knowledge Services
Duration: Permanent Full Time Hours: 36.25 hours per week
Location: 480 University Ave, Toronto
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Competition Status: Open
Job Code: Group 5 Salary: $63,330 - $89,163
Job ID: 15-0240
Posting Date: June 17, 2015
Closing Date: July 2, 2015
Reporting to the Manager, Knowledge Mobilization the Education Specialist will develop and implement educational programs and ongoing training for PHO staff, clients and stakeholders (e.g. public health unit staff, frontline health care providers and students) to support and build the capacity of PHO and its partner agencies.
- Plans and set goals and objectives for professional development and education activities for PHO staff, public health unit staff, frontline health care providers and students, within the assigned area to plan and conduct the framework for ongoing educational training programs to help build and support the capacity of internal and external stakeholders.
- Conducts environmental scans and needs assessments that identify key drivers and critical success factors that support the development of the assigned professional
- education/scientific training program.
- Develops and implements an education plan that supports identified educational and learning needs and styles; identifies and develops the policies, procedures, tools and resources necessary to support the educational program.
- Works with content experts to develop education curricula and programming and
- content for resource materials and presentations including online learning.
- Provides expertise in adult education to ensure the goals and objectives of the professional development/educational program are met and the appropriate technology, infrastructure and opportunities are leveraged for successful learning outcomes.
- Provide instructional design and educational consultation to support the development of high-quality online learning products.
- Develops and implements a plan for promoting educational offerings to target audiences.
- Keeps abreast of professional development scientific research to ensure the use of an evidenced informed approach related to professional development and education.
- Tracks and monitors service delivery for continuous quality improvement.
- Develops metrics to evaluate education and training programs.
- Conducts evaluation on education and training program processes and outcomes with a view to program improvement.
- Collaborates with other professional development and education team members to ensure a consistent approach to educational programming across the organization.
- Lead and facilitate PHO’s student training program including goal and objective setting, policy and guideline development, preceptor support and guidance, tool and resource development and ongoing evaluation to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders and community partners to facilitate student training and development.
- Plans and delivers education and professional development programs to support PHO’s student program and preceptor development.
- Plans and collaborates with the Student Placement, Education Preceptor (SPEP) Coordinator to support the SPEP network and network activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of adult education principles, methods and techniques to assess professional development and educational needs of clients and stakeholders, to plan and set goals and objectives for professional development and education activities and to coordinate the infrastructure for professional development and education.
- Knowledge of new and emerging innovations and methods in adult learning including the use of technology (e.g., e-learning) to develop the educational framework for professional development and education programming for PHO.
- Understanding of the professional development/education needs unique to a
- scientific/technical audience.
- Knowledge of program evaluation methods to develop performance measures and report on program outcomes.
- Computer proficiency to develop own materials including spreadsheets, presentations
- and resource materials.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in adult education or related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience in adult learning, curriculum development or program development, preferably in a public health or health care environment.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/default.aspx and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies. Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.